• Last Logged In: 19 Aug 12

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • ernes
    how to setup usb modem on ubuntu
    I've spent the past 2 days and 1½ hour from the third day trying to figure out how to configure my USB modem to start surfing on the net. And now i give up. Obviously i dont know what i'm doing so i need some help. I'm gettin an error when trying to connect with wvdial. Here is the error from the terminal: [code]--> Initializing modem.[/code] [code]--> Sending: AT + CGDCONT=1, "IP", "bredband.tre.se"[/code] [code]AT + CGDCONT=1, "IP", "bredband.tre.se"[/code] [code]OK[/code] [code]--> Modem initialized.[/code] [code]--> Cannot get information for serial port.[/code] [code]--> Initializing modem.[/code] [code]--> Sending: AT + CGDCONT=1, "IP", "bredband.tre.se"[/code] [code]AT + CGDCONT=1, "IP", "bredband.tre.se"[/code] [code]OK[/code] [code]--> Modem initialized.[/code] [code]--> Sending: ATDT*99#[/code] [code]--> Waiting for carrier. ATDT*99# ~[7f]}#@!}!}!} }9}#}%B#}%}(}"}'}"}"}&} } } } }%}&URy,kT~[/code] [code]CONNECT[/code] [code]--> Carrier detected. Waiting for prompt.[/code] [code]~[7f]}#@!}!}"} }9}#}%B#}%}(}"}'}"}"}&} } } } }%}&URy,'9~[/code] [code]--> PPP negotiation detected.[/code] [code]--> Starting pppd at Fri Aug 17 19:20:17 2012[/code] [code]--> Pid of pppd: 10401[/code] [code]--> Using interface ppp0[/code] [code]--> pppd: ��B[/code] [code]--> pppd: ��B[/code] [code]--> pppd: ��B[/code] [code]--> pppd: ��B[/code] [code]--> pppd: ��B[/code] [code]--> pppd: ��B[/code] [code]--> pppd: ��B[/code] [code]--> Disconnecting at Fri Aug 17 19:20:18 2012[/code] [code]--> The PPP daemon has died: A modem hung up the phone (exit code = 16) --> man pppd explains pppd error codes in more detail.[/code] [code]--> Try again and look into /var/log/messages and the wvdial and pppd man pages for more information.[/code] [code]--> Auto Reconnect will be attempted in 40 seconds[/code] And my wvdial.conf looks like this: [code][Dialer Defaults][/code] [code]Init1 = AT + CGDCONT=1, "IP", "bredband.tre.se"[/code] [code]Modem Type = USB Modem[/code] [code]Phone = *99#[/code] [code]ISDN = 0[/code] [code]Username = *[/code] [code]Password = *[/code] [code]Modem = /dev/ttyACM0[/code] [code]Baud = 460800[/code] [code]Pin = 7702[/code] This is the lsusb output: Code: [code]Bus 001 Device 007: ID 12d1:1505 Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd. E398 LTE/UMTS/GSM Modem/Networkcard[/code] [code]Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0bdb:1902 Ericsson Business Mobile Networks BV F3507g v2 Mobile Broadband Module[/code] I've changed the wvdial.config several times with no success and if i change Init1 to: Code: [code]Init1 = ATZ[/code] [code]Init2 = AT + CGDCONT=1, "IP", "bredband.tre.se"[/code] i get an error saying ATZ Error Bad init string. The usb dongle is a Huawei E372 Mobile Broadband modem. It has a sim-card in it and it requires a pin number of 4 digits to be able to connect to the internet. I tested it on Ubuntu 12.0.4 and it works fine but i'm having a really hard time trying to set it up on Backtrack 5 R3. Here is a picture of the modem [url=http://www.google.se/imgres?imgurl=http://www.4gltesolution.com/description_image/e372-j4.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.4gltesolution.com/blog/portable-huawei-e372-usb-stick-helps-quicken-the-network/&usg=__x0jp65Do5fIo7xczffNSWDIJjLk=&h=400&w=400&sz=24&hl=sv&start=12&zoom=1&tbnid=c5Jw3o_vx4NKIM:&tbnh=124&tbnw=124&ei=3bIwUOIm8I3iBNb5gaAP&itbs=1]click here[/url]Any help would be much appreciated.I really need some help here. Thanks in advance.
    Link to this post 18 Aug 12

I've spent the past 2 days and 1½ hour from the third day trying to figure out how to configure my USB modem to start surfing on the net. And now i give up. Obviously i dont know what i'm doing so i need some help. I'm gettin an error when trying to connect with wvdial. Here is the error from the terminal:

--> Initializing modem.

--> Sending: AT + CGDCONT=1, "IP", "bredband.tre.se"

AT + CGDCONT=1, "IP", "bredband.tre.se"

OK

--> Modem initialized.

--> Cannot get information for serial port.

--> Initializing modem.

--> Sending: AT + CGDCONT=1, "IP", "bredband.tre.se"

AT + CGDCONT=1, "IP", "bredband.tre.se"

OK

--> Modem initialized.

--> Sending: ATDT*99#

--> Waiting for carrier. ATDT*99# ~[7f]}#@!}!}!} }9}#}%B#}%}(}"}'}"}"}&} } } } }%}&URy,kT~

CONNECT

--> Carrier detected.  Waiting for prompt.

~[7f]}#@!}!}"} }9}#}%B#}%}(}"}'}"}"}&} } } } }%}&URy,'9~

--> PPP negotiation detected.

--> Starting pppd at Fri Aug 17 19:20:17 2012

--> Pid of pppd: 10401

--> Using interface ppp0

--> pppd: ��B

--> Disconnecting at Fri Aug 17 19:20:18 2012

--> The PPP daemon has died: A modem hung up the phone (exit code = 16) --> man pppd explains pppd error codes in more detail.

--> Try again and look into /var/log/messages and the wvdial and pppd man pages for more information.

--> Auto Reconnect will be attempted in 40 seconds

And my wvdial.conf looks like this:

[Dialer Defaults]

Init1 = AT + CGDCONT=1, "IP", "bredband.tre.se"

Modem Type = USB Modem

Phone = *99#

ISDN = 0

Username = *

Password = *

Modem = /dev/ttyACM0

Baud = 460800

Pin = 7702

This is the lsusb output: Code:

Bus 001 Device 007: ID 12d1:1505 Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd. E398 LTE/UMTS/GSM Modem/Networkcard

Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0bdb:1902 Ericsson Business Mobile Networks BV F3507g v2 Mobile Broadband Module

I've changed the wvdial.config several times with no success and if i change Init1 to: Code:

Init1 = ATZ

Init2 = AT + CGDCONT=1, "IP", "bredband.tre.se"

i get an error saying ATZ Error Bad init string. The usb dongle is a Huawei E372 Mobile Broadband modem. It has a sim-card in it and it requires a pin number of 4 digits to be able to connect to the internet. I tested it on Ubuntu 12.0.4 and it works fine but i'm having a really hard time trying to set it up on Backtrack 5 R3. Here is a picture of the modem click hereAny help would be much appreciated.I really need some help here. Thanks in advance.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board