• Last Logged In: 18 Feb

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • ben
    RE: Make PDC or LDAP server
    Fedora Core 389 is close to your needs, check it out at: http://directory.fedoraproject.org/ Like you I'd like to create a real AD DC, OpenLDAP is powerful if you compare features and options you've but if you'd like to replace a [u]real[/u] Microsoft Windows Server controller it's a pain in the ass. I don't mean just single sign on authentication but also group policies and FSMO roles, one of the big advantages of an Active Directory struture is the Group Policies unified management and control. I've tried to do some tests with LDAP and Fedora customizations but I'm quite far from a genuine AD server. If you want to test something quick go with the Fedora 389 project, if you'd like to be more distribution independent OpenLDAP is the way to go.... but we're still far from Microsoft side
    Link to this post 31 May 11

Fedora Core 389 is close to your needs, check it out at: http://directory.fedoraproject.org/

Like you I'd like to create a real AD DC, OpenLDAP is powerful if you compare features and options you've but if you'd like to replace a real Microsoft Windows Server controller it's a pain in the ass.
    I don't mean just single sign on authentication but also group policies and FSMO roles, one of the big advantages of an Active Directory struture is the Group Policies unified management and control. I've tried to do some tests with LDAP and Fedora customizations but I'm quite far from a genuine AD server.

If you want to test something quick go with the Fedora 389 project, if you'd like to be more distribution independent OpenLDAP is the way to go.... but we're still far from Microsoft side

• ben
    RE: Show your geek pictures
    @Istimsak Gnome desktop and Window Manager, Eclipse Helios on screen with the BIRT reporting engine workspace opened, I use it to extract stats from some local intranet apps, no Java involved with it, just apache+php+mysql but I'm using the birt engine to do a lot of boring stuff, do you like it ?
    Link to this post 19 Apr 11

@Istimsak
    Gnome desktop and Window Manager, Eclipse Helios on screen with the BIRT reporting engine workspace opened, I use it to extract stats from some local intranet apps, no Java involved with it, just apache+php+mysql but I'm using the birt engine to do a lot of boring stuff, do you like it ?

• ben
    RE: Choosing a Distro
    I know you've source packages in Arch but what I was trying to say is that in Gentoo there're no options, you've ebuilds (binary packages) but most of the time you've to deal with source packages and it's not an option. Arch is built around the idea to install your OS within few hours with binary packages (with Gentoo you need at least two hours... and just for having a core system)
    Link to this post 14 Apr 11

I know you've source packages in Arch but what I was trying to say is that in Gentoo there're no options, you've ebuilds (binary packages) but most of the time you've to deal with source packages and it's not an option. Arch is built around the idea to install your OS within few hours with binary packages (with Gentoo you need at least two hours... and just for having a core system)

• ben
    RE: S-Video hook up to TV
    You didn't mention about your graphic card but probably if you want to display something on your LCD TV you'd better stay with DVI, VGA/HDMI/DVI output settings are "enabled by default" on most linux distro (even Ubuntu), SVideo output is generally disabled if you don't configure something from your XOrg video setup config

You didn't mention about your graphic card but probably if you want to display something on your LCD TV you'd better stay with DVI, VGA/HDMI/DVI output settings are "enabled by default" on most linux distro (even Ubuntu), SVideo output is generally disabled if you don't configure something from your XOrg video setup config

• ben
    RE: 17cm * 13.5cm monitor for a computer
    Try this: http://www.mini-itx.com/ or just try to get an atom motherboard, I've got mine 1month ago for just 60€ from Amazon (free shipping !). If you don't need brute CPU power you'll probably be satisfied about them

Try this:

http://www.mini-itx.com/

or just try to get an atom motherboard, I've got mine 1month ago for just 60€ from Amazon (free shipping !). If you don't need brute CPU power you'll probably be satisfied about them

• ben
    RE: i need big help to create a touchscreen app
    IMHO here's the most important question: - What kind of experience do you've ? Can you tell us your skills or your knowledge ? Touch screen is just a peripheral, there's no magic around it, if you want to get an app running within 3 month I suggest you to use it as a common input device, a touch screen is generally recognized as a mouse if you don't need to handle/deal gestures or these esoteric new technologies. Are you able to create a web app for example ? in this case you may rethink your app and go ahead with your development with the tools you're familiar, your linux system may be ready in a moment, just install Xorg and a browser and you're ready to go. Let me know if you need help on this Hope it helps Ben

IMHO here's the most important question:
    - What kind of experience do you've ?

Can you tell us your skills or your knowledge ?
    Touch screen is just a peripheral, there's no magic around it, if you want to get an app running within 3 month I suggest you to use it as a common input device, a touch screen is generally recognized as a mouse if you don't need to handle/deal gestures or these esoteric new technologies.
    Are you able to create a web app for example ? in this case you may rethink your app and go ahead with your development with the tools you're familiar, your linux system may be ready in a moment, just install Xorg and a browser and you're ready to go.

Let me know if you need help on this
    Hope it helps

Ben

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board