• Linux.com Member
  • Last Logged In: 18 Feb

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • ben
    RE: Can/Do ANY Linux companies work with an intel i7 processor?
    You need to download AMD64 version of your favorite choice of Linux (Ubuntu may be a good start but you can also take a look at Kubuntu, Mint, FC, Debian or whatever). Just take an AMD64 CD/DVD iso and boot with it I'm writing to you from my HP/Compaq 8200 Elite (Intel i7, 16Gb RAM, 2x500Gb HD). Gentoo Linux (AMD64) loaded on it. Hope it helps Ben
    Link to this post 18 Feb

You need to download AMD64 version of your favorite choice of Linux (Ubuntu may be a good start but you can also take a look at Kubuntu, Mint, FC, Debian or whatever). Just take an AMD64 CD/DVD iso and boot with it

I'm writing to you from my HP/Compaq 8200 Elite (Intel i7, 16Gb RAM, 2x500Gb HD). Gentoo Linux (AMD64) loaded on it.

Hope it helps
    Ben

• ben
    RE: Video conference apts. or websites?
    Just a quick note about G+ Hangouts, if you want to use a Linux system you need to install it only on a Debian or Fedora based distribution. I've tried it to chat with an Ubuntu laptop and it works fine, no chanches with Gentoo, Slack, Arch, ... there's just a minimal support to Linux for it, I've seen messages about tests on porting these RPMs on other distros but it seems to be too early to use them without troubles
    Link to this post 28 Feb 12

Just a quick note about G+ Hangouts, if you want to use a Linux system you need to install it only on a Debian or Fedora based distribution.
    I've tried it to chat with an Ubuntu laptop and it works fine, no chanches with Gentoo, Slack, Arch, ... there's just a minimal support to Linux for it, I've seen messages about tests on porting these RPMs on other distros but it seems to be too early to use them without troubles

• ben
    RE: The Forum Website is back up.
    Back again as many of you, I think it could take a while to restore all previous functionalities, I was just looking at my previous blog posts and I cannot see them yet, I'll wait for a while before reporting it, I guess Dan and other guys from the staff are still working on it.
    Link to this post 17 Oct 11

Back again as many of you, I think it could take a while to restore all previous functionalities, I was just looking at my previous blog posts and I cannot see them yet, I'll wait for a while before reporting it, I guess Dan and other guys from the staff are still working on it.

• ben
    RE: What household use would a server be?
    Here are few suggestions for an home server usage (or at least this is what I do with mine) - NAS and file sharing across the local LAN (like many folks here): music, photos, videos, films, software, configs and backups - file sharing with: Samba, FTP, RSync, NFS. I use these services for sharing my files across the lan. Samba and FTP for general file sharing (media centers, computers, ...), NFS for my Solaris and IRIX workstations, RSync when I need to sync documents and my personal wiki documentation between laptops and the server itself. - Streaming: uPnP with mediatomb, many electronic appliances supports it like TVs (DLNA ready), consoles (PS3, XBox, ...) and cell phones (Android with upnp sw for example) - audio/video streaming with Icecast. I use it as my internal radio station for streaming MP3 files, with the same method I stream internally few cool webradios on the Net - lan web server: I've some homemade apps on it, I'm not using Apache but lighttpd, it's faster and my internal workload is pretty low - home automation software and security. My own apps controlling real hw, sensors, ... - mail server: if you use procmail+exim you know why I've an internal mail server at home - download station with torrent, mule, ... for legal file sharing only :-) - remote control sw (VNC) - VoIP !!! nobody mentioned it before ! I'm trunking channels with asterisk and I'm using it to reach remote friends These are my reasons to keep an internal home server, I don't develop web apps or I don't provide site hostings for work, it's just a personal usage but in the same platform I may host personal portals and web apps (with the appropriate bandwidth)
    Link to this post 15 Jul 11

Here are few suggestions for an home server usage (or at least this is what I do with mine)

- NAS and file sharing across the local LAN (like many folks here): music, photos, videos, films, software, configs and backups

- file sharing with: Samba, FTP, RSync, NFS. I use these services for sharing my files across the lan. Samba and FTP for general file sharing (media centers, computers, ...), NFS for my Solaris and IRIX workstations, RSync when I need to sync documents and my personal wiki documentation between laptops and the server itself.

- Streaming: uPnP with mediatomb, many electronic appliances supports it like TVs (DLNA ready), consoles (PS3, XBox, ...) and cell phones (Android with upnp sw for example)

- audio/video streaming with Icecast. I use it as my internal radio station for streaming MP3 files, with the same method I stream internally few cool webradios on the Net

- lan web server: I've some homemade apps on it, I'm not using Apache but lighttpd, it's faster and my internal workload is pretty low

- home automation software and security. My own apps controlling real hw, sensors, ...

- mail server: if you use procmail+exim you know why I've an internal mail server at home

- download station with torrent, mule, ... for legal file sharing only :-)

- remote control sw (VNC)

- VoIP !!! nobody mentioned it before ! I'm trunking channels with asterisk and I'm using it to reach remote friends

These are my reasons to keep an internal home server, I don't develop web apps or I don't provide site hostings for work, it's just a personal usage but in the same platform I may host personal portals and web apps (with the appropriate bandwidth)

• ben
    RE: what's a good 'language' to learn for scripting?
    Start with BASH, then move to python
    Link to this post 11 Jul 11

Start with BASH, then move to python

• ben
    RE: Linux Music System
    Please consider even these things: ICECAST, SHOUTCAST. If you plan to integrate all you music media in just one channel you must consider ICECAST as well. It's nice if you'd like to add for example your favorite internet radios or you want to create your own "local radio" for streaming contents across your lan, really useful if you plan to listen it from embedded devices, PDA, smartphones, ...
    Link to this post 11 Jul 11

Please consider even these things: ICECAST, SHOUTCAST.
    If you plan to integrate all you music media in just one channel you must consider ICECAST as well. It's nice if you'd like to add for example your favorite internet radios or you want to create your own "local radio" for streaming contents across your lan, really useful if you plan to listen it from embedded devices, PDA, smartphones, ...

• ben
    RE: Skype for linux
    Thank you so much Matthew, I'll try to use it after a little bit of study (and work obviously...)
    Link to this post 08 Jul 11

Thank you so much Matthew, I'll try to use it after a little bit of study (and work obviously...)

• ben
    GOT IT ! Come on boys, they've just opened it !

GOT IT ! Come on boys, they've just opened it !

• ben
    Like you, I've tried this morning with the new invitation sent from Matthew but unfortunately it seems they've closed it again

Like you, I've tried this morning with the new invitation sent from Matthew but unfortunately it seems they've closed it again

• ben
    Indeed, I've received your invitation twice so thank you for it but I guess they've locked the site with some sort of user limit
    Link to this post 07 Jul 11

Indeed, I've received your invitation twice so thank you for it but I guess they've locked the site with some sort of user limit

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board