• Last Logged In: 19 Oct 12

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • HarveyP
    RE: Problem printing to Brother DCP-J315W through USB port
    [quote="rechil_colin"] ... 1. Check your loaded Modules 2. See if the USB Printer Driver is listed 3. Look at the Kernel Log for usb traffic 4. Look at the list of Attached Devices ...[/quote] Please excuse my ignorance ... How do I do each of these things? I have checked "dpkg -l | grep Brother" which looked good and /etc/printcap appears to have the correct entry for a usb printer My apologies for not mentioning before - it is the 12.04.1 UBUNTU desktop. HarveyP
    Link to this post 19 Oct 12

rechil_colin said:

1. Check your loaded Modules

2. See if the USB Printer Driver is listed

3. Look at the Kernel Log for usb traffic

4. Look at the list of Attached Devices

Please excuse my ignorance ...

How do I do each of these things?
    I have checked "dpkg -l | grep Brother" which looked good and
    /etc/printcap appears to have the correct entry for a usb printer

My apologies for not mentioning before - it is the 12.04.1 UBUNTU desktop.

HarveyP

• HarveyP
    Problem printing to Brother DCP-J315W through USB port
    cannot open '/dev/lp0' The printer is connected by USB. It is good in /etc/printcap but I get the above status from lpq -a and of course no paper is used in this exercise, so very green! Seriously - I have installed the printer with the visual interface, apt-get, dpkg and despair of getting the printer going. Is it perhaps a function of the USB connection? Help! HarveyP
    Link to this post 18 Oct 12

cannot open '/dev/lp0'

The printer is connected by USB. It is good in /etc/printcap but I get the above status from lpq -a and of course no paper is used in this exercise, so very green!
    Seriously - I have installed the printer with the visual interface, apt-get, dpkg and despair of getting the printer going. Is it perhaps a function of the USB connection? Help!

HarveyP

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board