• Last Logged In: 27 Nov 12

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • Shafiee
    Setting up email server in Ubuntu Server 12.10
    Hi, I am trying to set up an email server in Ubuntu Server 12.10 . Could you please assist me? Here is what I did. 1. Installed postfix and dovecot sudo apt-get install postfix dovecot 2. Configured /etc/postfix/main.cf such that hostname = mail and mydestination = example.com 3. Configured /etc/dovecot/dovecot.cf such that allow_plaintext_authentication = yes and mail_location=mbox:~/main:INBOX=/var/mail/%u 4. Changed file permissions such that all permisisons are granted for /var/mail and /var/mail/* using sudo chmod 777 /var/mail and sudo chmod 777 /var/mail/* 5. Restarted postfix and dovecot by using: cd /etc/postfix sudo postfix stop sudo postfix start sudo service dovecot stop sudo service dovecot start 6. Created users using: useradd user1 passwd user1 useradd user2 passwd user2 7. Used telenet to send a test email: telnet localhost 25 mail from: user1@example.com rcpt to: user2@example.com data Subject: Test Test . 8. Used telnet to test POP3 server. telnet localhost 110 user user1 pass user2 I get an internal error at step 8 of users other than the administrator. When I followed these steps only the administrator account is able to authenticate, send and receive emails. That also was possible after step 4. I had to do step 4 because the /var/log/mail.err indicated problems accessing the file system. I was also able to configure an email client to send and receive emails from administrator@example.com. Shafiee.
    Link to this post 27 Nov 12

Hi,

I am trying to set up an email server in Ubuntu Server 12.10 . Could you please assist me? Here is what I did.

1. Installed postfix and dovecot
    sudo apt-get install postfix dovecot

2. Configured /etc/postfix/main.cf such that hostname = mail and mydestination = example.com

3. Configured /etc/dovecot/dovecot.cf such that allow_plaintext_authentication = yes and mail_location=mbox:~/main:INBOX=/var/mail/%u

4. Changed file permissions such that all permisisons are granted for /var/mail and /var/mail/* using sudo chmod 777 /var/mail and sudo chmod 777 /var/mail/*

5. Restarted postfix and dovecot by using:
    cd /etc/postfix
    sudo postfix stop
    sudo postfix start
    sudo service dovecot stop
    sudo service dovecot start

6. Created users using:
    useradd user1
    passwd user1
    useradd user2
    passwd user2

7. Used telenet to send a test email:
    telnet localhost 25
    mail from: user1@example.com
    rcpt to: user2@example.com
    data
    Subject: Test
    Test

8. Used telnet to test POP3 server.
    telnet localhost 110
    user user1
    pass user2

I get an internal error at step 8 of users other than the administrator. When I followed these steps only the administrator account is able to authenticate, send and receive emails. That also was possible after step 4. I had to do step 4 because the /var/log/mail.err indicated problems accessing the file system. I was also able to configure an email client to send and receive emails from administrator@example.com.

Shafiee.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board