• Last Logged In: 11 Mar 13

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • raphael75
    Trying to configure sendmail in Debian
    I'm trying to configure sendmail on our Debian Linux server to send mail, using our Exchange server as a relay. I'm a total noob at all of this. We can send mails to internal addresses (for example, if our domain name is ourdomain.com, the server can send mail to bob@ourdomain.com) with no problem. We can't send mail to external addresses like bob@gmail.com or bob@hotmail.com. Here's an example of what I get in /var/log/mail.log Mar 7 14:45:29 newton sm-mta[17159]: r27JjOw1017159: to=, ctladdr= (0/0), delay=00:00:05, xdelay=00:00:05, mailer=relay, pri=30455, relay=webmail.ourdomain.ws. [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx], dsn=5.7.1, [b]stat=User unknown[/b] Sometimes it says [b]stat=Unable to relay[/b] and sometimes [b]stat=Sent[/b], but in every case the emails are never received. Also, I get this: [code]root@newton:/etc/mail# sendmail -bv user9999@gmail.com user9999@gmail.com... deliverable: mailer relay, host webmail.ourdomain.ws, user user9999@gmail.com[/code] Does that mean the user9999@gmail.com is unknown to newton, or unknown to Exchange? Is there something in Exchange we need to configure? I have no idea what to configure. Please help. Thanks!
    Link to this post 11 Mar 13

I'm trying to configure sendmail on our Debian Linux server to send mail, using our Exchange server as a relay. I'm a total noob at all of this.

We can send mails to internal addresses (for example, if our domain name is ourdomain.com, the server can send mail to bob@ourdomain.com) with no problem.

We can't send mail to external addresses like bob@gmail.com or bob@hotmail.com. Here's an example of what I get in /var/log/mail.log

Mar 7 14:45:29 newton sm-mta[17159]: r27JjOw1017159: to=<user9999@gmail.com>, ctladdr=<root@newton.forrest> (0/0), delay=00:00:05, xdelay=00:00:05, mailer=relay, pri=30455, relay=webmail.ourdomain.ws. [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx], dsn=5.7.1, stat=User unknown

Sometimes it says stat=Unable to relay and sometimes stat=Sent, but in every case the emails are never received.

Also, I get this:

root@newton:/etc/mail# sendmail -bv user9999@gmail.com

user9999@gmail.com... deliverable: mailer relay, host webmail.ourdomain.ws, user user9999@gmail.com

Does that mean the user9999@gmail.com is unknown to newton, or unknown to Exchange?

Is there something in Exchange we need to configure?

I have no idea what to configure. Please help. Thanks!

• raphael75
    Trying to configure sendmail in Debian
    I'm trying to configure sendmail on our Debian Linux server to send mail, using our Exchange server as a relay. I'm a total noob at all of this. We can send mails to internal addresses (for example, if our domain name is ourdomain.com, the server can send mail to [email]bob@ourdomain.com[/email]) with no problem. We can't send mail to external addresses like [email]bob@gmail.com[/email] or [email]bob@hotmail.com[/email]. Here's an example of what I get in /var/log/mail.log Mar 7 14:45:29 newton sm-mta[17159]: r27JjOw1017159: to=, ctladdr= (0/0), delay=00:00:05, xdelay=00:00:05, mailer=relay, pri=30455, relay=webmail.ourdomain.ws. [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx], dsn=5.7.1, [B]stat=User unknown[/B] Also, I get this: [CODE]root@newton:/etc/mail# sendmail -bv user9999@gmail.com user9999@gmail.com... deliverable: mailer relay, host webmail.ourdomain.ws, user user9999@gmail.com[/CODE] Does that mean the [email]user9999@gmail.com[/email] is unknown to newton, or unknown to Exchange? Is there something in Exchange we need to configure? I have no idea what to configure. Please help. Thanks!
    Link to this post 11 Mar 13

I'm trying to configure sendmail on our Debian Linux server to send mail, using our Exchange server as a relay. I'm a total noob at all of this.

We can send mails to internal addresses (for example, if our domain name is ourdomain.com, the server can send mail to [email]bob@ourdomain.com[/email]) with no problem.

We can't send mail to external addresses like [email]bob@gmail.com[/email] or [email]bob@hotmail.com[/email]. Here's an example of what I get in /var/log/mail.log

Mar 7 14:45:29 newton sm-mta[17159]: r27JjOw1017159: to=<user9999@gmail.com>, ctladdr=<root@newton.forrest> (0/0), delay=00:00:05, xdelay=00:00:05, mailer=relay, pri=30455, relay=webmail.ourdomain.ws. [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx], dsn=5.7.1, [B]stat=User unknown[/B]

Also, I get this:

[CODE]root@newton:/etc/mail# sendmail -bv user9999@gmail.com

user9999@gmail.com... deliverable: mailer relay, host webmail.ourdomain.ws, user user9999@gmail.com[/CODE]

Does that mean the [email]user9999@gmail.com[/email] is unknown to newton, or unknown to Exchange?

Is there something in Exchange we need to configure?

I have no idea what to configure. Please help. Thanks!

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board