• Last Logged In: 30 Mar 13

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • Austinll
    RE: Gaming linux to run like a program
    I never said it was giving me an error because I don't know for sure if it is one, but it says "xor: automatically using best check summing function". Now (as you can tell) im not exactly a Linux master, but to me it does seem rather like its missing a file, so if you know what is causing this please do tell. I will try again to do exactly what i did last time, but at a slower pace. to see if that helps anything. I was in a really big rush last time. I will do my best to share this if it works because i can see how having an entire personal OS on a flash drive with files could help people.
    Link to this post 17 Mar 13

I never said it was giving me an error because I don't know for sure if it is one, but it says "xor: automatically using best check summing function". Now (as you can tell) im not exactly a Linux master, but to me it does seem rather like its missing a file, so if you know what is causing this please do tell. I will try again to do exactly what i did last time, but at a slower pace. to see if that helps anything. I was in a really big rush last time.

I will do my best to share this if it works because i can see how having an entire personal OS on a flash drive with files could help people.

• Austinll
    You don't seem to understand my last post. It already is persistent and according to your forum it is best recommended to run with a casper-rw partition, which I did. Since you said the flash drive overheats, is that referring to the flash drive itself, because wouldn't that cause the flash drive to no longer operate at all if that had broken it? the files were still manipulable by accessing it like a flash drive. And the messages it gave as it tried to boot were a problem other people had gotten, though for apparently different reasons.
    Link to this post 16 Mar 13

You don't seem to understand my last post. It already is persistent and according to your forum it is best recommended to run with a casper-rw partition, which I did. Since you said the flash drive overheats, is that referring to the flash drive itself, because wouldn't that cause the flash drive to no longer operate at all if that had broken it? the files were still manipulable by accessing it like a flash drive. And the messages it gave as it tried to boot were a problem other people had gotten, though for apparently different reasons.

• Austinll
    I appreciate your oppinion and that it did not hinder you from answering my question. Recently I had figured out how to install a linux system to a flash drive( I also figured out how to install to my personal PC). I used ubuntu 12.04 because i figured this out before checking your post. I used universal USB installer and installed it to the flash drive and used Gparted to make a casper-rw file of the whole drive(nearly 30gigs). Everything ran fine(i managed to boot the live version on the computers just fine aswell). But after i had installed wine and playonlinux the flash drive no longer booted, but rather began to hang after giving some messages. I had also created a user on the flash drive aswell if that makes a difference. Is there a special process for working with flash drives or did i screw something up and i should just try again? Your help is appreciated. PS: After installing Ubuntu 12.04 to my PC it runs great and i rather enjoy it. I can rather see why so many people like linux, but it really does take some getting used to, especially in the file managing.
    Link to this post 15 Mar 13

I appreciate your oppinion and that it did not hinder you from answering my question. Recently I had figured out how to install a linux system to a flash drive( I also figured out how to install to my personal PC). I used ubuntu 12.04 because i figured this out before checking your post. I used universal USB installer and installed it to the flash drive and used Gparted to make a casper-rw file of the whole drive(nearly 30gigs). Everything ran fine(i managed to boot the live version on the computers just fine aswell). But after i had installed wine and playonlinux the flash drive no longer booted, but rather began to hang after giving some messages. I had also created a user on the flash drive aswell if that makes a difference. Is there a special process for working with flash drives or did i screw something up and i should just try again? Your help is appreciated.

PS: After installing Ubuntu 12.04 to my PC it runs great and i rather enjoy it. I can rather see why so many people like linux, but it really does take some getting used to, especially in the file managing.

• Austinll
    Gaming linux to run like a program
    Hey guys. Sorry I'm a complete noob about Linux. I'm looking for a Linux that's great for gaming, but i want to be able to run it like a windows program. I saw that lucid puppy could do so, but how is the OS? also, I NEED it to be able to run like a windows program because i want to run games like fallout 3 at school, but i can install an entire OS onto a computer, get it? also if there is an ability to do this, i need it to be a non high user level type program(like needing to run as ADMIN) because that's not an option. any help would be vastly appreciated. Also it needs to be fully operational off of a flash drive, though i may be able to put a few files onto the computer, but not installing anything to conspicuous. *edit--- I recently saw that linux OS's arnt able to efficiently run windows based games alone, but i still need the OS. I recently saw that you can dual boot, but every dual boot description i saw required you to install to the computer, and as stated above, i cannot do so. is it possible to dual boot without installing to the computer, possibly by installing to the flashdrive only? and if i dual boot will that transfer over any of the admin setting over to the linux? I need to be admin to play any decent games, and this is the only way i can do so.
    Link to this post 11 Mar 13

Hey guys. Sorry I'm a complete noob about Linux. I'm looking for a Linux that's great for gaming, but i want to be able to run it like a windows program. I saw that lucid puppy could do so, but how is the OS? also, I NEED it to be able to run like a windows program because i want to run games like fallout 3 at school, but i can install an entire OS onto a computer, get it? also if there is an ability to do this, i need it to be a non high user level type program(like needing to run as ADMIN) because that's not an option. any help would be vastly appreciated. Also it needs to be fully operational off of a flash drive, though i may be able to put a few files onto the computer, but not installing anything to conspicuous.

*edit---
    I recently saw that linux OS's arnt able to efficiently run windows based games alone, but i still need the OS. I recently saw that you can dual boot, but every dual boot description i saw required you to install to the computer, and as stated above, i cannot do so. is it possible to dual boot without installing to the computer, possibly by installing to the flashdrive only? and if i dual boot will that transfer over any of the admin setting over to the linux? I need to be admin to play any decent games, and this is the only way i can do so.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board