• Last Logged In: 05 Apr 13

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • rtrg
    downloading in linux
    Is there a way to download ANYTHING in LINUX NOT using the command line approach? A special downloader that uses EXE files like WINDOWS? Preferably without saving it first? Installing from the SOFTWARE CENTER is easy. downloading items NOT in the center is not. How to make the download to leave a desktop icon automatically? If not how do drag it from the tray or MENU list? I need a LINUX OS that operates like WINDOWS. So far I do not like any of them. They are only variations of each other. Nothing resembling WINDOWS behavior. Does such a version even sxhist?
    Link to this post 05 Apr 13

Is there a way to download ANYTHING in LINUX NOT using the command line approach? A special downloader that uses EXE files like WINDOWS? Preferably without saving it first? Installing from the SOFTWARE CENTER is easy. downloading items NOT in the center is not. How to make the download to leave a desktop icon automatically? If not how do drag it from the tray or MENU list? I need a LINUX OS that operates like WINDOWS. So far I do not like any of them. They are only variations of each other. Nothing resembling WINDOWS behavior. Does such a version even sxhist?

• rtrg
    downloading in linux
    I have recently tried a number of versions of LINUX and UBUNTU. So far I am not impressed with any of them. My major issue is that when it comes to downloading either what is offered in the SOFTWARE MANAGER or using one of the downloaded browsers, nothing I download, like OPEN OFFICE for instance, leaves a desktop icon. It typically is left in the MENU and the program must be opened from there. Also when I try to download anything the program will SAVE in FF for instance but will NOT open to install. NO EXE file appears for installing. NO install boxes appear. This is so far different from WINDOWS as to be useless to me. I like the idea that it is open source but it is too different in behavior to understand. Can someone tell me which LINUX is closet to windows both in appearance and behavior. How do I get a given program to download and install both from the SOFTWARE page AND from any browser I use either from what is offered or from one I can figure out how to install and how to make any program leave a desktop icon. What do I do when there is NO EXE file displayed? In short I want a LINUX OS to behave like WINDOWS even if I have to install a third party program to make that happen. If I cannot fix this to MY satisfaction then LINUX goes into the trash can. I will stick with WINDOWS and the difficulty there can be in installing it and the key nonsense, and the activation nonsense.
    Link to this post 05 Apr 13

I have recently tried a number of versions of LINUX and UBUNTU. So far I am not impressed with any of them. My major issue is that when it comes to downloading either what is offered in the SOFTWARE MANAGER or using one of the downloaded browsers, nothing I download,
    like OPEN OFFICE for instance, leaves a desktop icon. It typically is left in the MENU and the program must be opened from there. Also when I try to download anything the program will SAVE in FF for instance but will NOT open to install. NO EXE file appears for installing. NO install boxes appear. This is so far different from WINDOWS as to be useless to me. I like the idea that it is open source but it is too different in behavior to understand. Can someone tell me which LINUX is closet to windows both in appearance and behavior. How do I get a given program to download and install both from the SOFTWARE page AND from any browser I use either from what is offered or from one I can figure out how to install and how to make any program leave a desktop icon. What do I do when there is NO EXE file displayed? In short I want a LINUX OS to behave like WINDOWS even if I have to install a third party program to make that happen. If I cannot fix this to MY satisfaction then LINUX goes into the trash can. I will stick with WINDOWS and the difficulty there can be in installing it and the key nonsense, and the activation nonsense.

• rtrg
    linux mint 14
    I just installed the OS. Not knowing any better I used a name and password and set to log in on auto. Now I find the OS asks for the password for a lot of tasks. Can I remove it? Ignore it? Should I reload the OS NOT making those choices? Leaving those field blank. How and where do I find WINE to use windows programs? reeltoreelguy@gmail.com.
    Link to this post 04 Apr 13

I just installed the OS. Not knowing any better I used a name and password and set to log in on auto. Now I find the OS asks for the password for a lot of tasks. Can I remove it? Ignore it? Should I reload the OS NOT making those choices? Leaving those field blank. How and where do I find WINE to use windows programs? reeltoreelguy@gmail.com.

• rtrg
    linux use
    I just installed LINUX MINT 14 on a spare hard drive for a DELL OPTIPLEX GX400. So far I do not like it. I found the only desktop background that somewhat pleases me, I cannot finf out how to download and install a more desireable background from NOOBS LAB.com, AND I cannot find a way to move the built in apps such as FIRE FOX onto the desktop not to mention the other programs that will live on the desktop also, both built in and third party downloaded using the built in browser or any browser I ca get to operate. I am looking for an XP LOOK AND FEEL. This one is not it. All solutions welcome. reeltoreelguy@gmail.com
    Link to this post 25 Mar 13

I just installed LINUX MINT 14 on a spare hard drive for a DELL OPTIPLEX GX400. So far I do not like it. I found the only desktop background that somewhat pleases me, I cannot finf out how to download and install a more desireable background from NOOBS LAB.com, AND I cannot find a way to move the built in apps such as FIRE FOX onto the desktop not to mention the other programs that will live on the desktop also, both built in and third party downloaded using the built in browser or any browser I ca get to operate. I am looking for an XP LOOK AND FEEL. This one is not it. All solutions welcome. reeltoreelguy@gmail.com

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board