• Last Logged In: 02 Feb 10

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • LittleBit
    PIPE questions for Linux 2.4 setup
    We wanted to increase PIPE_SIZE (from 4K to 8K on linux 2.4 on an AMD LX800 system). The result is a segmentation error as soon as Read() is reading more data than 4K from the pipe. So pipe data seems to be damaged. If we change PIPE_SIZE back tot 4K everything is running fine. Question-1: Any suggestion to prevent this segmentation error ? * PIPE_SIZE If you look in the linux kernel code for PIPE_SIZE ("include/linux/pipe_fs_i.h") you find: #define PIPE_SIZE PAGE_SIZE I don't know if #define PIPE_SIZE PAGE_SIZE is necessary or just a simple shortcut. Question-2: Is it OK if PIPE_SIZE > PAGE_SIZE ? * PAGE_SIZE Question-3: Is it OK to increase Page_size on linux 2.4 on AMD LX800 system ? Which aspects are limiting the user to config the PAGE_SIZE ?
    Link to this post 22 May 09

We wanted to increase PIPE_SIZE (from 4K to 8K on linux 2.4 on an AMD LX800 system).
    The result is a segmentation error as soon as Read() is reading more data than 4K from the pipe.
    So pipe data seems to be damaged.
    If we change PIPE_SIZE back tot 4K everything is running fine.
    Question-1: Any suggestion to prevent this segmentation error ?

* PIPE_SIZE
    If you look in the linux kernel code for PIPE_SIZE
    ("include/linux/pipe_fs_i.h") you find:
    #define PIPE_SIZE PAGE_SIZE
    I don't know if #define PIPE_SIZE PAGE_SIZE is necessary or just a simple shortcut.
    Question-2: Is it OK if PIPE_SIZE > PAGE_SIZE ?

* PAGE_SIZE
    Question-3: Is it OK to increase Page_size on linux 2.4 on AMD LX800 system ?
    Which aspects are limiting the user to config the PAGE_SIZE ?

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board