• Linux.com Member
  • Last Logged In: 06 Sep

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • Per Lindholm
    Troubleshooting, limit speed of USB3 device on USB2 computer.
    Since the USB3 memory sticks are really fast I expect they would maximize the speed of the USB2 port (480Mbit/s). I tried two sticks. With Disk Utility I got a sustained read speed of 40Mbyte/s but when I tried the write I only got around 10Mbyte/s. During write the speed frequently went down to very low after starting at 35Mbyte/s. I tried several of the latest distros and the result were the same. The plan was to try to set a hard limit on the speed to and from the USB3 device. I didnt find any such commands. Could I tunnel the USB traffic trough a simulated network device I then can traffic shape?
    Link to this post 21 Jan 12

Since the USB3 memory sticks are really fast I expect they would maximize the speed of the USB2 port (480Mbit/s). I tried two sticks. With Disk Utility I got a sustained read speed of 40Mbyte/s but when I tried the write I only got around 10Mbyte/s. During write the speed frequently went down to very low after starting at 35Mbyte/s. I tried several of the latest distros and the result were the same.

The plan was to try to set a hard limit on the speed to and from the USB3 device. I didnt find any such commands. Could I tunnel the USB traffic trough a simulated network device I then can traffic shape?

• Per Lindholm
    RE: Similar way to secure smart phones and tablets?
    Yes as a last resort this should be possible. Like the uses for a liveCD the user should also be able to run the device in the secure mode. I hope this method has the affect of bypassing any installed apps that are bad. Running in the secure mode should not require you to reset the device, it could be that the user with his jail braked smartphone wants a secure environment to conduct money transactions.
    Link to this post 09 Mar 11

Yes as a last resort this should be possible. Like the uses for a liveCD the user should also be able to run the device in the secure mode. I hope this method has the affect of bypassing any installed apps that are bad.

Running in the secure mode should not require you to reset the device, it could be that the user with his jail braked smartphone wants a secure environment to conduct money transactions.

• Per Lindholm
    RE: Similar way to secure smart phones and tablets?
    Thanks for the input. The problem with user acknowledgement is the rather large potential for mistakes. They have to know what there doing. What I meant is that you have essentially the same mobile OS twice. Both can be updated through a trusted system but user manipulation ( installing all kinds of apps ) is restricted on the secure system. This could also work as backup system if the user somehow trashes it.
    Link to this post 08 Mar 11

Thanks for the input. The problem with user acknowledgement is the rather large potential for mistakes. They have to know what there doing.

What I meant is that you have essentially the same mobile OS twice. Both can be updated through a trusted system but user manipulation ( installing all kinds of apps ) is restricted on the secure system. This could also work as backup system if the user somehow trashes it.

• Per Lindholm
    Similar way to secure smart phones and tablets?
    I was going to do this as a blog post but I thought I get some feedback first. To see if its good enough to publish at all.:unsure: Similar way to secure smart phones and tablets. One way to move away from the problem of the malware ridden Windows platform was to run a Linux LiveCD. Why not use a similar approach to secure smart phones and tablets? The method works by bypassing any contaminated apps that have been installed on the user system by booting and running a minimal default system. Ideally the second system would be on a read-only media but a secure write protect system is perhaps good enough. Here the user can not install anything to compromise the system. To make it as simple as possible one can add a button to restart the device and to run the secure system, like a built in splashtop in a dualboot configuration. This method does not exclude the need for checking the applications in the appstore. However when security matters. When we do online banking and other money transactions we need to have a dedicated device. Be it a PC, smart phone or tablet.
    Link to this post 08 Mar 11

I was going to do this as a blog post but I thought I get some feedback first. To see if its good enough to publish at all.:unsure:

Similar way to secure smart phones and tablets.

One way to move away from the problem of the malware ridden Windows platform was to run a Linux LiveCD. Why not use a similar approach to secure smart phones and tablets? The method works by bypassing any contaminated apps that have been installed on the user system by booting and running a minimal default system. Ideally the second system would be on a read-only media but a secure write protect system is perhaps good enough. Here the user can not install anything to compromise the system.

To make it as simple as possible one can add a button to restart the device and to run the secure system, like a built in splashtop in a dualboot configuration.

This method does not exclude the need for checking the applications in the appstore. However when security matters. When we do online banking and other money transactions we need to have a dedicated device. Be it a PC, smart phone or tablet.

• Per Lindholm
    RE: Collectively buy games to open source?
    Thanks. I hope someone investigates this possibility.
    Link to this post 02 Apr 10

Thanks.

I hope someone investigates this possibility.

• Per Lindholm
    Collectively buy games to open source?
    The idea is to catalyze the number of games availible on the Linux platform. To do this I wonder if you cant just collectively fund some company or organisation by donations. They would then use the money to buy the right to open source whole or parts of once popular games for them to be adjusted to various Linux distributions.
    Link to this post 30 Mar 10

The idea is to catalyze the number of games availible on the Linux platform. To do this I wonder if you cant just collectively fund some company or organisation by donations. They would then use the money to buy the right to open source whole or parts of once popular games for them to be adjusted to various Linux distributions.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board