• Last Logged In: 27 Jul 13

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • zdenek.styblik
    RE: Adding some logic to a Linux Server running Cent OS6
    Will, I hope there is a way for developer to do testing before going live. You need to install GNU/Linux server, then http server(ngix or apache or jboss for java(?)), configure it based on the solution you're going to deploy - be it homemade or something that's out there. And then play around and test until you get it right. As for gumroad, they obviously have some kind of API. I'm pretty sure they're going to call 'http://yourdomain.tld/some_url' and you have to put your script at 'some_url' to do the stuff, resp. accept parameters, process them, and return app to the user. At least that's how I understood it(+/-). It's going to be similar as programming application for a mobile phone. Since you did that, it should be easy-ish. I'd start small - no license keys and whatever, just get app into your phone. And then start adding restrictions. Z.
    Link to this post 23 Jul 13

Will,

I hope there is a way for developer to do testing before going live.

You need to install GNU/Linux server, then http server(ngix or apache or jboss for java(?)), configure it based on the solution you're going to deploy - be it homemade or something that's out there.
    And then play around and test until you get it right.

As for gumroad, they obviously have some kind of API. I'm pretty sure they're going to call 'http://yourdomain.tld/some_url' and you have to put your script at 'some_url' to do the stuff, resp. accept parameters, process them, and return app to the user. At least that's how I understood it(+/-). It's going to be similar as programming application for a mobile phone. Since you did that, it should be easy-ish.

I'd start small - no license keys and whatever, just get app into your phone. And then start adding restrictions.

Z.

• zdenek.styblik
    RE: Adding some logic to a Linux Server running Cent OS6
    Hello, first of all, I'd say your question is OS-independent. It really doesn't matter whether it's going to run on GNU/Linux or Windows or *BSD. It pretty much sounds to me like you're in need of full-stack(front-end -> back-end) application no matter whether it's going to be simple or "sophisticated" one. You should hire developer for such task. I don't know if there are any for-free solutions available, I haven't looked for any, have you? Anyway, I've read your previous post as well. I'd bet on people's honesty rather the opposite. And anything can be hacked. Anyway, I don't know what you can do or can't do on client's phone. In your previous post, you've suggested user_id, phone_id and something else. I'd take these, added SALT(either on device itself or on your server) create SHA256 hash and used it as sort-of key. Or generate license key, add user_id, phone_id, whatever else, create hash. Either way, store this hash at your server. And then check whether such key has been used, resp. is already in DB, or not. And perhaps create an alternate way for user to re-download your app again in case he has deleted it. Although, this could be a possible back-door for cheating. *shrug* It all depends what's possible and available(meaning data from client) to you and what isn't. Really, just shooting ideas. Look around the internet whether there is some free-for-download solution available or hire somebody to do it. I think prevalent tendency is ``I've paid for it[full stack app development], I'll keep it.''. Regards, Z.
    Link to this post 21 Jul 13

Hello,

first of all, I'd say your question is OS-independent. It really doesn't matter whether it's going to run on GNU/Linux or Windows or *BSD.

It pretty much sounds to me like you're in need of full-stack(front-end -> back-end) application no matter whether it's going to be simple or "sophisticated" one. You should hire developer for such task. I don't know if there are any for-free solutions available, I haven't looked for any, have you?

Anyway, I've read your previous post as well. I'd bet on people's honesty rather the opposite. And anything can be hacked. Anyway, I don't know what you can do or can't do on client's phone. In your previous post, you've suggested user_id, phone_id and something else. I'd take these, added SALT(either on device itself or on your server) create SHA256 hash and used it as sort-of key. Or generate license key, add user_id, phone_id, whatever else, create hash. Either way, store this hash at your server. And then check whether such key has been used, resp. is already in DB, or not.
    And perhaps create an alternate way for user to re-download your app again in case he has deleted it. Although, this could be a possible back-door for cheating. *shrug*
    It all depends what's possible and available(meaning data from client) to you and what isn't.

Really, just shooting ideas. Look around the internet whether there is some free-for-download solution available or hire somebody to do it. I think prevalent tendency is ``I've paid for it[full stack app development], I'll keep it.''.

Regards,
    Z.

• zdenek.styblik
    RE: I know nothing...
    [quote="mfillpot"]Slackware 32-bit does have a little bug when trying to run it in virtualbox for now because it is using an smp kernel that virtualbox does not like.[/quote] Slackware ships even with non-smp(kernel-generic, kernel-huge) kernel. Also, using 32bit anything nowadays doesn't make much sense, unless you have a good reason, eg. your (x86) platform isn't 64bit yet.
    Link to this post 18 Jul 13

mfillpot said:

Slackware 32-bit does have a little bug when trying to run it in virtualbox for now because it is using an smp kernel that virtualbox does not like.

Slackware ships even with non-smp(kernel-generic, kernel-huge) kernel. Also, using 32bit anything nowadays doesn't make much sense, unless you have a good reason, eg. your (x86) platform isn't 64bit yet.

• zdenek.styblik
    System Administrator - looking for something to do
    Hello, I'm looking for a stuff to do/offering my help/advisory if anybody either wants it or is in need for some. I'm interested in system administration and pretty much everything around it - especially infrastructure stuff. I'd be very interested in to explore monitoring, virtualization and OpenVZ/LCX. Distro - preferably Debian based, but RHEL/CentOS/SUSE goes as well [list] [*] [url=https://www.linkedin.com/pub/zdenek-styblik/22/139/2bb]my LinkedIn profile[/url] [*] [url=https://git.zeratul.org]Git repo[/url] [/list] For free or on contract. It's not like anybody is going to respond :)

Hello,

I'm looking for a stuff to do/offering my help/advisory if anybody either wants it or is in need for some. I'm interested in system administration and pretty much everything around it - especially infrastructure stuff. I'd be very interested in to explore monitoring, virtualization and OpenVZ/LCX.
    Distro - preferably Debian based, but RHEL/CentOS/SUSE goes as well

For free or on contract. It's not like anybody is going to respond :)

• zdenek.styblik
    RE: I know nothing...
    Hi, I don't know Windows, but Virtual Box sounds as a good bet on Windows. It's for free. The second bet is VMware, but I'm not sure whether it's free or not. As for distribution for server; what's wrong with Slackware? No, it really depends on the scale. Personally, I think Slackware is ok if you have a dozen servers. But I don't think it's manageable on larger scale. Also, I have seen only one job post related to Slackware in ~ 13 years. Despite it's really good for experience, as you've pointed out, despite I like Slackware and I'm using it for 13 years, I recommend you to look into Debian. But then, once you tame Slackware you'll see other distributions as "just another Linux, no problem" ;) And it's true in the end. It's all Linux and difference is in details.

Hi,

I don't know Windows, but Virtual Box sounds as a good bet on Windows. It's for free. The second bet is VMware, but I'm not sure whether it's free or not.

As for distribution for server; what's wrong with Slackware? No, it really depends on the scale. Personally, I think Slackware is ok if you have a dozen servers. But I don't think it's manageable on larger scale. Also, I have seen only one job post related to Slackware in ~ 13 years. Despite it's really good for experience, as you've pointed out, despite I like Slackware and I'm using it for 13 years, I recommend you to look into Debian. But then, once you tame Slackware you'll see other distributions as "just another Linux, no problem" ;) And it's true in the end. It's all Linux and difference is in details.

• zdenek.styblik
    Slackware turns 20 years old
    Happy birth day, Slackware! [url=https://lwn.net/Articles/559293/]LWN post[/url]

Happy birth day, Slackware!

LWN post

• zdenek.styblik
    RE: Route all traffic to Loopback with iptables
    Hi, I don't think it's possible. loopback makes sense only within Host itself. I hate to say something is impossible and I've toyed around with it for a bit, but it seems so. What you can do is tunnel/forward those ports via SSH. Or create VPN between you two(or many) and have services listening/available only via VPN. Regards, Z.
    Link to this post 16 Jul 13

Hi,

I don't think it's possible. loopback makes sense only within Host itself. I hate to say something is impossible and I've toyed around with it for a bit, but it seems so. What you can do is tunnel/forward those ports via SSH. Or create VPN between you two(or many) and have services listening/available only via VPN.

Regards,
    Z.

• zdenek.styblik
    RE: Problem mounting local filesystem
    Hello, can you provide more information, please?
    Link to this post 16 Jul 13

Hello,

can you provide more information, please?

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board