• Last Logged In: 07 Dec

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • bootneck02
    RE: Bootable DVD and Switchign to Linux Help
    One other thing I thought about Zorin was probably that you are like me Nerafim in the fact I do not want to write script or couldn't care less how a operating system works and have no interest the technical side of how a operating system works unlike many members of the Linux community I just want it to work and that is what Zorin does, works straight out of the box, and it comes with lots of extras. The only thing I do not like is my email address is through my broadband supplier and I would have to change to Gmail or similar so that is why I still have Windows dual booted wit Zorin but Zorin is the preferred OS.
    Link to this post 28 Nov

One other thing I thought about Zorin was probably that you are like me Nerafim in the fact I do not want to write script or couldn't care less how a operating system works and have no interest the technical side of how a operating system works unlike many members of the Linux community I just want it to work and that is what Zorin does, works straight out of the box, and it comes with lots of extras. The only thing I do not like is my email address is through my broadband supplier and I would have to change to Gmail or similar so that is why I still have Windows dual booted wit Zorin but Zorin is the preferred OS.

• bootneck02
    RE: Bootable DVD and Switchign to Linux Help
    I had the same trouble when I looked into using a Linux distro. I now dual boot with Windows 8.1 64 bit and a Linux distro called Zorin 9 Ultimate LTS 64bit. Zorin is based on Ubuntu but has the ability of mimicking Windows and Mac with the start button etc, the reason I chose Zorin was that I felt comfortable with it as had only use Microsoft operating systems before and it is a easier transfer to an unknown OS and getting used to it as I am only a home user. There two versions one free and one paid for(not popular with Linux aficionados) but still less than £20 but has full bells and whistles and more software downloads than one could possibly want and the downloads are free. Good luck with your investigations and your new distro what ever you decide it is.
    Link to this post 27 Nov

I had the same trouble when I looked into using a Linux distro. I now dual boot with Windows 8.1 64 bit and a Linux distro called Zorin 9 Ultimate LTS 64bit. Zorin is based on Ubuntu but has the ability of mimicking Windows and Mac with the start button etc, the reason I chose Zorin was that I felt comfortable with it as had only use Microsoft operating systems before and it is a easier transfer to an unknown OS and getting used to it as I am only a home user. There two versions one free and one paid for(not popular with Linux aficionados) but still less than £20 but has full bells and whistles and more software downloads than one could possibly want and the downloads are free. Good luck with your investigations and your new distro what ever you decide it is.

• bootneck02
    RE: Dual boot or not to dual boot??
    Thanks for the reply Veritas Vos Liberabit I will follow your advice and let you know how I get on. Regards Bootneck02
    Link to this post 25 Nov

Thanks for the reply Veritas Vos Liberabit I will follow your advice and let you know how I get on.
    Regards
    Bootneck02

• bootneck02
    RE: unsure which linux distro will work best on my PC
    Personally I would recommend Zorin 32 bit as you are able to make the whole thing to look like and feel like XP or windows 7, 2000 etc
    Link to this post 10 Nov

Personally I would recommend Zorin 32 bit as you are able to make the whole thing to look like and feel like XP or windows 7, 2000 etc

• bootneck02
    Dual boot or not to dual boot??
    Hi All I am hoping that someone can lead me through a installation. At the moment I am running Windows 8.1 64bit but wish to run Zorin 9 Ultimate64 bit. If I give you a little history perhaps you will understand. I have had Zorin dual booted with W 8.1 but was having difficulties with PC crashing so after shutting down the PC whilst I was on holiday for two weeks on return I attempted to boot my trusty old PC and it refused to fire up, it was old 8 years so to some extent I was not surprised as had run 24/7 crunching for WCG. I have now built a new PC here are the details:- Processor: AMD FX 3.8 Ghz RAM: 8 Gig Kingston DDR3 1333MHz single stick Motherboard: Asus 2048 Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT640 C drive: 2 TB desktop SSHD Seagate D drive: 2 TB Toshiba HD The question I ask do I dual boot Zorin or do I install Zorin on the D drive and if so how do I do that as the boot drive is the C drive. All help gratefully received.
    Link to this post 29 Oct

Hi All I am hoping that someone can lead me through a installation. At the moment I am running Windows 8.1 64bit but wish to run Zorin 9 Ultimate64 bit. If I give you a little history perhaps you will understand. I have had Zorin dual booted with W 8.1 but was having difficulties with PC crashing so after shutting down the PC whilst I was on holiday for two weeks on return I attempted to boot my trusty old PC and it refused to fire up, it was old 8 years so to some extent I was not surprised as had run 24/7 crunching for WCG. I have now built a new PC here are the details:-

Processor: AMD FX 3.8 Ghz
    RAM: 8 Gig Kingston DDR3 1333MHz single stick
    Motherboard: Asus 2048
    Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT640
    C drive: 2 TB desktop SSHD Seagate
    D drive: 2 TB Toshiba HD

The question I ask do I dual boot Zorin or do I install Zorin on the D drive and if so how do I do that as the boot drive is the C drive. All help gratefully received.

• bootneck02
    Hi everyone I will be hoping for lots of help in the future
    Hi everyone at the moment I am running Windows 8.1 64 bit but wanting to use Zorin 7 64bit LTS as my main OS so I will be asking lots of questions but not this Topic so once again Hi
    Link to this post 29 Oct

Hi everyone at the moment I am running Windows 8.1 64 bit but wanting to use Zorin 7 64bit LTS as my main OS so I will be asking lots of questions but not this Topic so once again Hi

• bootneck02
    RE: What is the best linux ditribution ?
    Hi I am am a Windows user but at the moment dual booting with Zorin 9 64bit LTS. Zorin is Ubuntu based and is able to look like Windows 2000, XP, Windows 7 and Mac. I have found this is the distro for someone to convert from the cash cow of windows to Linux as it is the easiest for a ex Windows user to understand and it comes with lots of software. Good luck with your conversion to Linux which ever distro you end up with.
    Link to this post 09 Oct

Hi I am am a Windows user but at the moment dual booting with Zorin 9 64bit LTS. Zorin is Ubuntu based and is able to look like Windows 2000, XP, Windows 7 and Mac. I have found this is the distro for someone to convert from the cash cow of windows to Linux as it is the easiest for a ex Windows user to understand and it comes with lots of software. Good luck with your conversion to Linux which ever distro you end up with.

• bootneck02
    RE: Oh no not another complete Nooby
    Thanks for Those words of advice Abarbarian. Well I have got my knickers in a twist over Zorin my inexperience and understanding of Linux I think and not the software its self. Firstly I downloaded Zorin off the net and although they give you the procedure but it is not self explanatory to a non Linux person for example:- Once the .7z file has downloaded please check the md5sum to make sure that the file is not corrupted. The correctmdsum is ------------------ a) If you use Windows. Check the mmd5sum with Nullnver's WinMD5Sum What is that all about we are Windows users and are spoon fed, Ok I downloaded the Nullnver's WinMD5sum but what do I do with it. At that point came to a full stop and just ran the download as to be perfectly honest the instructions were beyond my capability as a home user and self taught Windows user. Any way I ran the download but it was corrupt and some of it ran and some of it did not. I would have downloaded from a DVD but Zorin have run out of run out of the preinstalled DVD's. The trouble is that when I rebooted the drive would not boot so now I have a 1500GB hard drive I cannot use. Luckly I had Windows on a different drive so I have re installed that. BUT I haven given up I have ordered a DVD with Zorin 9 LTS from Ebay and will have another go when it arrives. Any help from any one will be gratefully received but please in very simple terms as I am only a spoon-fed Windows amateur.
    Link to this post 16 Aug

Thanks for Those words of advice Abarbarian. Well I have got my knickers in a twist over Zorin my inexperience and understanding of Linux I think and not the software its self. Firstly I downloaded Zorin off the net and although they give you the procedure but it is not self explanatory to a non Linux person for example:-

Once the .7z file has downloaded please check the md5sum to make sure that the file is not corrupted. The correctmdsum is ------------------
    a) If you use Windows. Check the mmd5sum with Nullnver's WinMD5Sum

What is that all about we are Windows users and are spoon fed, Ok I downloaded the Nullnver's WinMD5sum but what do I do with it. At that point came to a full stop and just ran the download as to be perfectly honest the instructions were beyond my capability as a home user and self taught Windows user. Any way I ran the download but it was corrupt and some of it ran and some of it did not. I would have downloaded from a DVD but Zorin have run out of run out of the preinstalled DVD's. The trouble is that when I rebooted the drive would not boot so now I have a 1500GB hard drive I cannot use.
    Luckly I had Windows on a different drive so I have re installed that. BUT I haven given up I have ordered a DVD with Zorin 9 LTS from Ebay and will have another go when it arrives. Any help from any one will be gratefully received but please in very simple terms as I am only a spoon-fed Windows amateur.

• bootneck02
    Just another question or two 1)My PC is home built will the spec of this pc be OK for Zorin 9 LTS 64 bit:- CPU 233ghz Intel Q8200 4 core - Main Board ASUSTek P5Q De Lux - Video Card ATI Radeon HD4800 - 8 Gig Ram - C drive Samsung 2000GB - Sound Card Auzencheck X Meridian 7.Is that spec adequate for Zorin and the drivers supplied OK for the PC. 2) How do I download my music and files using wine or does Zorin do the transfer of files using wine automatically. Sorry to be a pain but I have never done anything like this, treat me like a virgin, gently.
    Link to this post 07 Aug

Just another question or two
    1)My PC is home built will the spec of this pc be OK for Zorin 9 LTS 64 bit:- CPU 233ghz Intel Q8200 4 core - Main Board ASUSTek P5Q De Lux - Video Card ATI Radeon HD4800 - 8 Gig Ram - C drive Samsung 2000GB - Sound Card Auzencheck X Meridian 7.Is that spec adequate for Zorin and the drivers supplied OK for the PC.

2) How do I download my music and files using wine or does Zorin do the transfer of files using wine automatically.

Sorry to be a pain but I have never done anything like this, treat me like a virgin, gently.

• bootneck02
    Thanks willeytheworm and Sidze for the replies I Have started to watch the video's. I think I will do a clean install of Zoren otherwise I will Be tempted to go back to Windows as an easy option rather at looking this as a challenge, an adventure and a learning curve. once thanks for the help and advice.
    Link to this post 06 Aug

Thanks willeytheworm and Sidze for the replies I Have started to watch the video's. I think I will do a clean install of Zoren otherwise I will Be tempted to go back to Windows as an easy option rather at looking this as a challenge, an adventure and a learning curve. once thanks for the help and advice.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board