• Linux.com Member
  • Last Logged In: 14 Jun

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • JamesKB
    RE: Ubuntu and Xubuntu on same computer??
    Ahhhhh..... I found it. I had to click the little icon in the upper right hand cornor of the login screen and was able to choose which desktop environment I wanted. Thanks for the tip. Have a good day. -- JamesKB
    Link to this post 28 May

Ahhhhh..... I found it. I had to click the little icon in the upper right hand cornor of the login screen and was able to choose which desktop environment I wanted. Thanks for the tip.

Have a good day.
    --
    JamesKB

• JamesKB
    RE: Ubuntu and Xubuntu on same computer??
    Here is some additional information. When I boot the computer, the OS splash screen says/shows [i]Xubuntu[/i]. However when I look at Settings->About this computer it tells me that the OS is [i]Ubuntu[/i]?? See attached image. Any ideas?? -- JamesKB
    Link to this post 28 May

Here is some additional information.

When I boot the computer, the OS splash screen says/shows Xubuntu. However when I look at Settings->About this computer it tells me that the OS is Ubuntu?? See attached image.

Any ideas??
    --
    JamesKB

• JamesKB
    Ubuntu and Xubuntu on same computer??
    I had Ubuntu 14.04 Unity installed and it was/is running well. I read an article by Carla Schroder at linux.com titled [i]The 7 Best Linux Distros for 2014[/i]. In the article she stated that if you were running Ubuntu Unity and did not like it that you could install Xubuntu via [i]apt-get install xubuntu-desktop[/i] and then when you booted your computer you could [i]choose[/i] which one you wanted to use, in my case it would have been Ubuntu or Xubuntu. Well I did as she suggested and Xubuntu seemed to install well. [i][b]However[/b][/i], when I re-booted my computer I was [b]not[/b] given the option of which version I wanted to use. The computer booted straight to Xubuntu. What am I missing here?? Any help would be much appreciated, as I am a newly converted Windows user. :) :) Thank you for your time. -- JamesKB
    Link to this post 28 May

I had Ubuntu 14.04 Unity installed and it was/is running well. I read an article by Carla Schroder at linux.com titled The 7 Best Linux Distros for 2014.

In the article she stated that if you were running Ubuntu Unity and did not like it that you could install Xubuntu via apt-get install xubuntu-desktop and then when you booted your computer you could choose which one you wanted to use, in my case it would have been Ubuntu or Xubuntu.

Well I did as she suggested and Xubuntu seemed to install well. However, when I re-booted my computer I was not given the option of which version I wanted to use. The computer booted straight to Xubuntu. What am I missing here?? Any help would be much appreciated, as I am a newly converted Windows user. :) :)

Thank you for your time.
    --
    JamesKB

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board