• Last Logged In: 23 Jul 10

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • kyle
    RE: Slackware
    This thread has reinspired me to get back some Slack. I will do that tonight on my laptop. I am thinking Slackware 13, Kernel 2.6.31-rc6, LVMs with Btrfs v0.19... Mmm, mmm, mmm.
    Link to this post 20 Aug 09

This thread has reinspired me to get back some Slack. I will do that tonight on my laptop.

I am thinking Slackware 13, Kernel 2.6.31-rc6, LVMs with Btrfs v0.19... Mmm, mmm, mmm.

• kyle
    RE: ati-catalyst 9.6 on kernel 2.6.30(x86) Crash!!
    I should add; FGLRX and 2.6.30 do not work together... at least the last time I tried. However, I think ATI supports the 2.6.29 kernel series.

I should add; FGLRX and 2.6.30 do not work together... at least the last time I tried. However, I think ATI supports the 2.6.29 kernel series.

• kyle
    RE: ati-catalyst 9.6 on kernel 2.6.30(x86) Crash!!
    Here is another great howto for builing an rpm kernel. It is the way that I do it. http://linuxdork.org/var/archives/15-kernelstduserrpm

Here is another great howto for builing an rpm kernel. It is the way that I do it.

http://linuxdork.org/var/archives/15-kernelstduserrpm

• kyle
    RE: More software for Enterprise Linux - the EPEL repo
    [b]umairbari wrote:[/b] [quote]Mixing repos is never a good practice.[/quote] EPEL is from upstream RedHat however. Its better than mixing in DAG repos, etc. Although, DAG is great for finding RPMs outside of what RedHat packages.

umairbari wrote:

Mixing repos is never a good practice.

EPEL is from upstream RedHat however. Its better than mixing in DAG repos, etc.

Although, DAG is great for finding RPMs outside of what RedHat packages.

• kyle
    RE: Linux Desktop Wishlist
    Only thing I wish... To the developers; keep up the good work. :) Ok, perhaps I have another... Seeing Linux break into the Enterprise workstation area would be great. The problem is that many enterprise level businesses are so deeply in bed with some of those evel software companies that they get scared to take a leap in good direction (even in the server area). Here is hoping... they keep on keeping on and waking up....
    Link to this post 19 Aug 09

Only thing I wish...

To the developers; keep up the good work. :)

Ok, perhaps I have another... Seeing Linux break into the Enterprise workstation area would be great. The problem is that many enterprise level businesses are so deeply in bed with some of those evel software companies that they get scared to take a leap in good direction (even in the server area).

Here is hoping... they keep on keeping on and waking up....

• kyle
    RE: RHEL or CentOS?
    In my opinion it all comes down to vendor support and TCO requirements.

In my opinion it all comes down to vendor support and TCO requirements.

• kyle
    RE: Trying to install..
    Your Ubuntu disc is bad or your CD drive is... Lets assume that its the disc as that is more likely the case. Firstly, I want to inform you that you may rest assured; Ubuntu will install over your "messed up Windows". Secondly, you need to get a new install disc; one way would be to download and burn it at a friends house (good to burn at a slow speed (I always use half of the burners maximum)). Also, you can request a free install CD from the Ubuntu website. Hope this helps. :)

Your Ubuntu disc is bad or your CD drive is... Lets assume that its the disc as that is more likely the case.

Firstly, I want to inform you that you may rest assured; Ubuntu will install over your "messed up Windows". Secondly, you need to get a new install disc; one way would be to download and burn it at a friends house (good to burn at a slow speed (I always use half of the burners maximum)). Also, you can request a free install CD from the Ubuntu website.

Hope this helps. :)

• kyle
    RE: Games You Play under wine ! ! !
    i play wow under wine

i play wow under wine

• kyle
    RE: Slackware
    [b]amnesia wrote:[/b] [quote]Apart from the man hell-bent on distributing the essence of a linux operating system, concerned with the security of any and every package that ships with the OS, the proverbial roots of all things slackware... There's a method to the slackware madness~ To me slackware is simplicty at its finest. No 'goo' of an OS oozing from every orifice screaming exploite-me -- The quintessential of being the finest grade like a top shelf premium purple labled liqueur, Slackware wins 10-fold over every other linux distribution. Not because it's pretty, because it simply works. I can remember many times I have experimented with random distributions, only to return to the only one I find explicitly worthy of being whatever I want it to be, and do whatever I want it to do. In the end, it's all about what you want.. I want control over my OS in every aspect, I have that in every way shape and form. There's other decent linux distros gentoo, debian, heh I can't think of any more. To me simplicity is integrity, integrity is key in the digital world and a team of people more concentrated on that in-lieu of, "How big can we get" means a world of difference. Just my thoughts :>[/quote] QFT

amnesia wrote:

Apart from the man hell-bent on distributing the essence of a linux operating system, concerned with the security of any and every package that ships with the OS, the proverbial roots of all things slackware... There's a method to the slackware madness~

To me slackware is simplicty at its finest. No 'goo' of an OS oozing from every orifice screaming exploite-me -- The quintessential of being the finest grade like a top shelf premium purple labled liqueur, Slackware wins 10-fold over every other linux distribution.
    Not because it's pretty, because it simply works. I can remember many times I have experimented with random distributions, only to return to the only one I find explicitly worthy of being whatever I want it to be, and do whatever I want it to do.
    In the end, it's all about what you want.. I want control over my OS in every aspect, I have that in every way shape and form. There's other decent linux distros gentoo, debian, heh I can't think of any more.
    To me simplicity is integrity, integrity is key in the digital world and a team of people more concentrated on that in-lieu of, "How big can we get" means a world of difference.

Just my thoughts :>

QFT

• kyle
    RE: RHEL AS 3 Kernal booting error
    Did you read the syslog and dmesg output? Either way; as per that error message you need to do that as well as check the modules.conf and modinfo to see what parameters can be are and can be used.

Did you read the syslog and dmesg output? Either way; as per that error message you need to do that as well as check the modules.conf and modinfo to see what parameters can be are and can be used.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board