• Linux.com Member
  • Last Logged In: 04 Oct 10

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • YoyoKirby
    RE: Any suggestions? No seriously, I need them.
    I was just about to say that. I've been using INX on VirtualBox, which has turned out great because you don't need much to run it. Although I think I'm gonna stick with noobuntu for a bit longer. It feels fine for my level.
    Link to this post 13 Aug 09

I was just about to say that. I've been using INX on VirtualBox, which has turned out great because you don't need much to run it. Although I think I'm gonna stick with noobuntu for a bit longer. It feels fine for my level.

• YoyoKirby
    When I see INX, all I can think about is using it in public and wondering what the people around me are thinking. I'm gonna give Debian a try, I hear that's a good one. Eventually, I'm gonna get Gentoo.
    Link to this post 25 Jul 09

When I see INX, all I can think about is using it in public and wondering what the people around me are thinking.

I'm gonna give Debian a try, I hear that's a good one. Eventually, I'm gonna get Gentoo.

• YoyoKirby
    [b]Set_Killer wrote:[/b] [quote]are you scared of compiling or you are scared of configurating? you may try Linux From Scarch, but gentoo have better community and documentation. also you can read some books about linux administration.[/quote] I'm not scared of Linux. If I mess up, I mess up. Oh well, it's a shitty computer anyways. I'm just not familiar with Gentoo at all, which would hinder me.
    Link to this post 14 Jul 09

Set_Killer wrote:

are you scared of compiling or you are scared of configurating?

you may try Linux From Scarch, but gentoo have better community and documentation.

also you can read some books about linux administration.

I'm not scared of Linux. If I mess up, I mess up. Oh well, it's a shitty computer anyways. I'm just not familiar with Gentoo at all, which would hinder me.

• YoyoKirby
    Does it have to be Gentoo, or is that one you think will be most useful to me?
    Link to this post 13 Jul 09

Does it have to be Gentoo, or is that one you think will be most useful to me?

• YoyoKirby
    Any suggestions? No seriously, I need them.
    Now I've been using Linux for about a year now, and I feel that I don't know enough about it or about terminal commands. Could anyone suggest some commands to get comfortable with. I know apt-get install and aptitude search. I know a few others, but I use those mostly. Now, I've tried several distributions and found a few that I currently use. Ubuntu on PC, and #!Crunchbang on laptop. I know that #!Crunchbang is an offshoot of Ubuntu, so there's not [i]that[/i] many differences to learn. I was just kinda wondering which distribution would get me to learn more, faster. Because the faster I learn, the more I can be useful for this site.
    Link to this post 13 Jul 09

Now I've been using Linux for about a year now, and I feel that I don't know enough about it or about terminal commands. Could anyone suggest some commands to get comfortable with.

I know apt-get install and aptitude search. I know a few others, but I use those mostly.

Now, I've tried several distributions and found a few that I currently use. Ubuntu on PC, and #!Crunchbang on laptop. I know that #!Crunchbang is an offshoot of Ubuntu, so there's not that many differences to learn. I was just kinda wondering which distribution would get me to learn more, faster. Because the faster I learn, the more I can be useful for this site.

• YoyoKirby
    RE: The Great KDE vs. GNOME thread.
    I don't know if it's just me, but GNOME just works more efficiently (out of the box, at least). But I do like the aesthetics of KDE slightly more than GNOME. If only there was a way to mash them together...
    Link to this post 02 Jul 09

I don't know if it's just me, but GNOME just works more efficiently (out of the box, at least). But I do like the aesthetics of KDE slightly more than GNOME. If only there was a way to mash them together...

• YoyoKirby
    Switching desktop environments(not what you think)
    I was just wondering if there was a way to get a KDE style working on gnome, and vice versa. Just have the look, without all the apps. Just curious.
    Link to this post 02 Jul 09

I was just wondering if there was a way to get a KDE style working on gnome, and vice versa. Just have the look, without all the apps.

Just curious.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board