• Last Logged In: 15 Feb 11

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • Rovanion
    RE: Booting to Linux on a USB-drive via CD
    The issue is that the BIOSes support and are turned to boot USB-devices first hand. Other USB-devices boot but not mine. Maybe the question is: How do I make my USB-drive detectable for the BIOS. Other USB-drives, even tough they do not contain any OS, are detected by the BIOS and attempted to boot to if choosen.
    Link to this post 08 Oct 10

The issue is that the BIOSes support and are turned to boot USB-devices first hand. Other USB-devices boot but not mine.

Maybe the question is: How do I make my USB-drive detectable for the BIOS. Other USB-drives, even tough they do not contain any OS, are detected by the BIOS and attempted to boot to if choosen.

• Rovanion
    Booting to Linux on a USB-drive via CD
    My Google fu has failed me, so I turn to you dear reader. What I wish to do is to boot a Linux distribution that is installed on a USB-harddrive, just like on any other harddrive. The only issue is that I have encountered many BIOS's that either does not detect or as in one case, an Acer laptop, where the BIOS freezes completely once the drive is plugged in. Tough every BIOS has been able to boot a LiveCD. So I shoved the ArchLive CD into a couple of computers, trying to use GRUB to boot to the USB-drive. But failed miserably, the only drives detected were the CD and the local harddrive. So I'm asking you for a foolproof way to boot to a USB from a CD. I want a CD which only purpose in life is to push on to the USB.
    Link to this post 02 Oct 10

My Google fu has failed me, so I turn to you dear reader.

What I wish to do is to boot a Linux distribution that is installed on a USB-harddrive, just like on any other harddrive. The only issue is that I have encountered many BIOS's that either does not detect or as in one case, an Acer laptop, where the BIOS freezes completely once the drive is plugged in.

Tough every BIOS has been able to boot a LiveCD. So I shoved the ArchLive CD into a couple of computers, trying to use GRUB to boot to the USB-drive. But failed miserably, the only drives detected were the CD and the local harddrive.

So I'm asking you for a foolproof way to boot to a USB from a CD. I want a CD which only purpose in life is to push on to the USB.

• Rovanion
    RE: Atheros driver and the legality of distributing it
    The specific card model would be Atheros AR8151. I can find some information scattered around the internet, this message for example: http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/ But it was written in February and I have no clue what happened with the code.
    Link to this post 03 Sep 10

The specific card model would be Atheros AR8151.

I can find some information scattered around the internet, this message for example: http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/
    But it was written in February and I have no clue what happened with the code.

• Rovanion
    Atheros driver and the legality of distributing it
    I am working with the Linux Mint developers on testing the new Debian Edition. So I boot it up on my parents Acer 5820TG to try the latest spin on some new hardware and find that neither wired nor wireless network is working. After getting and installing the driver I ask the project lead to include the Ethernet-card driver on the CD to be plugged in either via some fancy init-script or Jockey when appropriate, because it's proprietary. The answer I got was no, because the license states that it's forbidden to distribute the driver. I was flabbergasted in the words truest sense; nobody can be that stupid. But upon reading the license agreement myself even I cannot deny the very words of the license: http://partner.atheros.com/Download.aspx?id=151 Section 2: You may not use, disclose, modify, reproduce or distribute the Software except as expressly permitted in this Agreement. Section 3: You may not copy the Software except for archival purposes or as necessary to use it in accordance with this License Agreement. Now, I'm in no way a lawyer or accustomed to reading documents of law. So maybe I'm wrong, please say that I'm wrong, but it seems to me like the license explicitly forbids redistribution of any sort of the driver. This means that Linux Mint cannot distribute this driver for the Ethernet-card, and without the Ethernet-card, how is the user supposed to get the driver? Using her Broadcom Wireless card maybe? So I'm asking you, the penguin hivemind, are we reading this license wrong, is there any way we could distribute this driver? TL;DR Atheros seem to be bastards. Is there any way that I'm wrong?
    Link to this post 03 Sep 10

I am working with the Linux Mint developers on testing the new Debian Edition. So I boot it up on my parents Acer 5820TG to try the latest spin on some new hardware and find that neither wired nor wireless network is working.

After getting and installing the driver I ask the project lead to include the Ethernet-card driver on the CD to be plugged in either via some fancy init-script or Jockey when appropriate, because it's proprietary. The answer I got was no, because the license states that it's forbidden to distribute the driver.

I was flabbergasted in the words truest sense; nobody can be that stupid. But upon reading the license agreement myself even I cannot deny the very words of the license: http://partner.atheros.com/Download.aspx?id=151

Section 2: You may not use, disclose, modify, reproduce or distribute the Software except as expressly permitted in this Agreement.
    Section 3: You may not copy the Software except for archival purposes or as necessary to use it in accordance with this License Agreement.

Now, I'm in no way a lawyer or accustomed to reading documents of law. So maybe I'm wrong, please say that I'm wrong, but it seems to me like the license explicitly forbids redistribution of any sort of the driver. This means that Linux Mint cannot distribute this driver for the Ethernet-card, and without the Ethernet-card, how is the user supposed to get the driver? Using her Broadcom Wireless card maybe?

So I'm asking you, the penguin hivemind, are we reading this license wrong, is there any way we could distribute this driver?

TL;DR Atheros seem to be bastards. Is there any way that I'm wrong?

• Rovanion
    RE: Disabling Nepomuk
    The reason why I haven't uninstalled nepomuk is because I cannot find the package. According to aptitude I have nothing installed that has nepomuk in it's name, yet it is there lurking. I can only assume that nepomuk was brought in by some other package in some way. Another person might not want to uninstall them because he or she occasionally uses KDE4, but that's not my case.
    Link to this post 29 May 10

The reason why I haven't uninstalled nepomuk is because I cannot find the package. According to aptitude I have nothing installed that has nepomuk in it's name, yet it is there lurking. I can only assume that nepomuk was brought in by some other package in some way.

Another person might not want to uninstall them because he or she occasionally uses KDE4, but that's not my case.

• Rovanion
    Interestingely enough I think it helped slightly but not the whole way. Changing or in my case, adding that line stopped the nepomukservicestubs to be spawned. Tough it did not stop the nepomukserver itself from being spawned. Note that I changed both the nepomukserverrc in .kde and .kde3 since I wasn't sure which one was used, and which one was a backup and whatnot. I could live with having nepomukserver running. Of course it consumes a bit of RAM and some cycles, but if there is noone else has any idea I'll stick with this.
    Link to this post 28 May 10

Interestingely enough I think it helped slightly but not the whole way.
    Changing or in my case, adding that line stopped the nepomukservicestubs to be spawned. Tough it did not stop the nepomukserver itself from being spawned. Note that I changed both the nepomukserverrc in .kde and .kde3 since I wasn't sure which one was used, and which one was a backup and whatnot.

I could live with having nepomukserver running. Of course it consumes a bit of RAM and some cycles, but if there is noone else has any idea I'll stick with this.

• Rovanion
    Thanks a lot for the help. I will look into it once I get home to my laptop again.
    Link to this post 28 May 10

Thanks a lot for the help.
    I will look into it once I get home to my laptop again.

• Rovanion
    Disabling Nepomuk
    So basically what I want to do is to let Nepomuk burn in a fire. Now my situation is like this: I am running Debian Squeeze which is the current testing. I am using the Trinity fork of KDE 3.5 which installs KDE into /opt separate from everything else. Now for some reason, what I do not know, Nepomuk is always running when I log into KDE. This does not happen when I log into XFCE for example, only when logging into KDE. So where can I disable this memory hogging monster that is eating up my CPU for seemingly no good reason since it as far as I know is not at all used in KDE 3 but was only introduced in KDE 4. What is it that spawns nepomukserver and all those nepomukservicestub on login?
    Link to this post 22 May 10

So basically what I want to do is to let Nepomuk burn in a fire.
    Now my situation is like this: I am running Debian Squeeze which is the current testing. I am using the Trinity fork of KDE 3.5 which installs KDE into /opt separate from everything else. Now for some reason, what I do not know, Nepomuk is always running when I log into KDE. This does not happen when I log into XFCE for example, only when logging into KDE.

So where can I disable this memory hogging monster that is eating up my CPU for seemingly no good reason since it as far as I know is not at all used in KDE 3 but was only introduced in KDE 4. What is it that spawns nepomukserver and all those nepomukservicestub on login?

• Rovanion
    RE: Using KDE 3.5 on a modern distro
    Using MEPIS 8 would be no upgrade since it also uses the 2.6.27 kernel. Will look into that techpatterns guide you linked. I'm having my hands full right now trying to learn JavaScript until later this evening :-P Do you know if I can filter distributions on distrowatch based on a package? Because looking trough all the distros on Distrowatch, well, such a timekiller.
    Link to this post 18 Apr 10

Using MEPIS 8 would be no upgrade since it also uses the 2.6.27 kernel.
    Will look into that techpatterns guide you linked. I'm having my hands full right now trying to learn JavaScript until later this evening :-P

Do you know if I can filter distributions on distrowatch based on a package? Because looking trough all the distros on Distrowatch, well, such a timekiller.

• Rovanion
    RE: Wireless Networking Card
    To be completely honest. I got this computer for free. Anyhow thanks for the help. I will try getting a new kernel running on my box, due to someone on the Debian forums suggesting it. He mentioned that the driver was marked as experimental and that maybe it would have reached a more stable state in a newer version.
    Link to this post 17 Apr 10

To be completely honest. I got this computer for free.
    Anyhow thanks for the help. I will try getting a new kernel running on my box, due to someone on the Debian forums suggesting it. He mentioned that the driver was marked as experimental and that maybe it would have reached a more stable state in a newer version.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board