• Last Logged In: 01 Sep 11

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • cjcox
    RE: Linux & SSDs (Solid State Drives)
    SSD is very well supported in Linux. The "feature" that many will talk about that isn't really there in Linux is for "trim" support (well.. I don't think it's quite there yet). But "trim" is a hack... not really a solution, but a way of attempting to do a batch post processing repair job on SSD. In general, though, you can probably get by without "trim" support for now. We plan to use some SSD with some db's (Oracle, DB2, etc) on Linux. We're in test right now.
    Link to this post 13 Jul 10

SSD is very well supported in Linux. The "feature" that many will talk about that isn't really there in Linux is for "trim" support (well.. I don't think it's quite there yet). But "trim" is a hack... not really a solution, but a way of attempting to do a batch post processing repair job on SSD. In general, though, you can probably get by without "trim" support for now.

We plan to use some SSD with some db's (Oracle, DB2, etc) on Linux. We're in test right now.

• cjcox
    RE: Aargh.. can't figure this out: for( i in s), index
    Not sure Bill... but I didn't find your description of what you're trying to do to be clear at all. Do you have a file of replacement text that looks like: word;newword word2;newword2 word3;newword3 etc... I think that's what you're saying. But on replace, you want the string replaced with the line number preceding of the line from the file of keyword/replace pairs? Sometimes, you need to look at things from a different perspective... assume the keyword file is called repl.txt, then consider: grep -n '.' repl.txt | sed 's,^\([0-9]*\):\([^;]*\);\([^;]*\),s/\\\b\2\\\b/\1 \3/g,' >repl.sed The sed script file now contains substitute commands for your keyword replaces, so you could call it like: sed -f repl.sed myhtmlfile.html I'm hoping that's useful.... but maybe I'm way off.
    Link to this post 13 Jul 10

Not sure Bill... but I didn't find your description of what you're trying to do to be clear at all.

Do you have a file of replacement text that looks like:

word;newword
    word2;newword2
    word3;newword3
    etc...

I think that's what you're saying.

But on replace, you want the string replaced with the line number preceding of the line from the file of keyword/replace pairs?

Sometimes, you need to look at things from a different perspective... assume the keyword file is called repl.txt, then consider:

grep -n '.' repl.txt | sed 's,^\([0-9]*\):\([^;]*\);\([^;]*\),s/\\\b\2\\\b/\1 \3/g,' >repl.sed

The sed script file now contains substitute commands for your keyword replaces, so you could call it like:

sed -f repl.sed myhtmlfile.html

I'm hoping that's useful.... but maybe I'm way off.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board