gNewSense is a fully free software GNU/Linux distribution.
Free software is software that respects your freedom. You can use it without restrictive licenses, make copies for your friends, school or business. To use free software is to make a political and ethical choice asserting your rights to learn and to share what you learn with others.
gNewSense is derived from Ubuntu, and thus has most of the same functionality. There are a number of differences though.
* Non-free firmware removed from kernel in main*
* Non-free firmware removed from linux-ubuntu-modules**
* Builder, a tool to produce a distribution
* Restricted removed
* Multiverse removed
* Ubuntu logos replaced
* Universe enabled by default
* Emacs, bsdgames, nethack and build-essential part of the default install
Note our goal is to produce a fully free distribution, not to have as many features as possible.
*At the time of the 1.0 release this was 119 files and the debian/firmware directory
**This happens when updates are applied to a 2.0 install
**At the time of the 2.0 release this was over 100 files.