This article is focused towards Android App Development in a Linux distribution, especially in Ubuntu 14.04 environment using the Android Studio.
Android Studio, is an IntelliJ IDEA-based Android development environment, which is currently in the Beta stage. It is packed with multi-features and improvements over Eclipse ADT. As currently it is in beta stage, once it reaches to the final stage of development, it will be known as Android IDE. It provides a comprehensive tool for developing and debugging applications for the Google operating system for mobile devices. With the help of IntelliJ, the Android Studio offers the following features:
- Flexible Gradle-based build system.
- Ability to generate and build multiple APK & variants, respectively.
- Extended template support for Google-based services and several types of devices.
- Theme editing support with rich layout editor.
- Catch the performance, usability, version compatibility, and other problems with the Lint tools.
- Fully capable of ProGuard and app-signing.
- Easily integrate Google Cloud Messaging and App Engine with its built-in support for Google Cloud Platform.
Download the Android Studio from here.
This download includes:
- Android Studio Beta.
- All the Android SDK Tools to design, test, and debug your app.
- A version of the Android platform to compile your app.
- A version of the Android system image to run your app in the emulator.
The following procedure is for installing Android Studio, and therefore does not serve to update it. That's because the program has its own "Update Manager". With this update to Android Studio to the latest version, just click "Check for updates now" in the welcome screen, and simply click "Update and Restart":
Please remember that, the package will try to install one of these JDKs: default-jdk, oracle-java7-installer or oracle-java8-installer. So, just make sure that, installing the Android Studio, install one of these packages via the PPA repository.
How to Install Android Studio on Ubuntu Studio 14.04?
In order to install Android Studio on Ubuntu Studio 14.04 and derivatives, do the following:
Step 1: Open a terminal using the Dash or pressing Ctrl + Alt + T keys.
Step 2: If you have not, add that repository with the following command:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa: paolorotolo / android-studio
Step 3: Update the APT with the command:
sudo apt-get update
Step 4: Now install the program with the command:
sudo apt-get install android-studio
Step 5: Once installed, run the program by typing in Dash: