Many of you may or may not have heard of a new project. This one is called OpenPandora. Their goal is to make an open source handheld that is very powerful. And I must say, they certainly achieved that.
It is by far the most powerful handheld in the world both in terms of raw CPU power and 3D graphics capability, it will be able to handle things such as Firefox3 or Quake3 with ease.
As you can see, it's definately powerful enough as a system, but how about raw specs?
* ARM® CortexTM-A8 600Mhz+ CPU running Linux
* 430-MHz TMS320C64x+TM DSP Core
* PowerVR SGX OpenGL 2.0 ES compliant 3D hardware
* 800x480 4.3" 16.7 million colours touchscreen LCD
* Wifi 802.11b/g, Bluetooth & High Speed USB 2.0 Host
* Dual SDHC card slots & SVideo TV output
* Dual Analogue and Digital gaming controls
* 43 button QWERTY and numeric keypad
* Around 10+ Hours battery life
If you ask me, this is the next-generation of netbooks. It should be a contender in the handheld arena, and if it is able to get itself enough publicity, Sony & Nintendo may start losing to significant market share. Which proves one point: What is safe from Linux? The answer: nothing. Check their site out and purchase a unit, support Linux, OpenPandora, and enjoy it while you're at it!