Linux.com

USB wi-fi adapter?

Link to this post 23 May 13

This is my first experience with Linux, and the person who sold me the computer won't answer my emails. I have a Dell Inspiron 531, running the Linux OS Ubuntu 12.04, and i need a USB wi-fi adapter that's compatible with it. Two different stores have sold me adapters they said would work, but neither of them has. Can someone who actually KNOWS tell me what USB adapters(s) is/are compatible with my system? Thank you.

There are some adapters that work without issues, but they generally are not marked as such. I have found that the usb wifi that sony sells for their smart TVs works perfectly, but it is expensive. I also found some at newegg such as http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833116003 that say they are compatible.

Thank you for your reply.
I have used a USB adapter to connect to my WiFi using Mint. But I wanted the complete wifi experience using the laptop wifi and not a adapter. I persisted in trying different distros running them from Live CD first and came across CHAKRA, the laptop wifi card worked immediately so I am now dual booting Chakra and windows.
Thank you

Link to this post 31 May 13

I am glad to hear your problem was solved. For future reference I have always found this wireless card compatible and have always used it when I have wireless issues. Sadly I have not found good resources that link people to compatible wireless cards, but I hope one day every card will be compatible.

Here is the link: http://support.netgear.com/product/WG111v3

Link to this post 31 May 13

Unfortunately, the problem is not as solved as i thought; i got the adapter yesterday, and my system says, "Command line output: End-of-central-directory signature not found. Either this file is not a zipfile or it constitutes one disk of a multi-part archive."

Link to this post 01 Jun 13

What did you do before you got that message? Also for wireless issues you may want to check out ndiswrapper

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board