• Linux.com Member
  • Last Logged In: 07 Sep 10

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • mikesd
    RE: I need someone to hold my hand here.
    Well I'm confused here. What exactly are you trying to do? You say you have Ubuntu installed, why are trying to install Debian now? What do you mean from here, where? You need to be more direct in your questions.
    Link to this post 17 Jun 09

Well I'm confused here. What exactly are you trying to do? You say you have Ubuntu installed, why are trying to install Debian now?

What do you mean from here, where? You need to be more direct in your questions.

• mikesd
    RE: how to re-install yum in linux
    what distro are you using?
    Link to this post 15 Jun 09

what distro are you using?

• mikesd
    RE: I can not install anything on my Linux machine
    [b]ImmortalMatrixology wrote:[/b] [quote] [root@REMSSVR src]# tar zxvf /path/to/yum-3.2.23.tar.gz tar: /path/to/yum-3.2.23.tar.gz: Cannot open: No such file or directory tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now tar: Child returned status 2 tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors [root@REMSSVR src]# By the way, my folder is on the desktop...what route to I follow to get to it??[/quote] It seems you're making a typo in /pat/to/yum-3.2.23 command The desktop is usually [code]/home/user/Desktop[/code] also don't forget you su'd so make sure you are using the complete path to the file you're trying to expand.
    Link to this post 13 Jun 09

ImmortalMatrixology wrote:

[root@REMSSVR src]# tar zxvf /path/to/yum-3.2.23.tar.gz
    tar: /path/to/yum-3.2.23.tar.gz: Cannot open: No such file or directory
    tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
    tar: Child returned status 2
    tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
    [root@REMSSVR src]#

By the way, my folder is on the desktop...what route to I follow to get to it??

It seems you're making a typo in /pat/to/yum-3.2.23 command

The desktop is usually

/home/user/Desktop

also don't forget you su'd so make sure you are using the complete path to the file you're trying to expand.

• mikesd
    RE: GUI is not working
    Try at the commandline :startx see if there is an error. If there isn't, you'll have to change the /etc/inittab file at this line: [code]# The default runlevel is defined here id:5:initdefault: [/code] Make sure it says id:5:initdefault then reboot
    Link to this post 12 Jun 09

Try at the commandline :startx

see if there is an error. If there isn't, you'll have to change the /etc/inittab file at this line:

# The default runlevel is defined here
    id:5:initdefault:

Make sure it says id:5:initdefault

then reboot

• mikesd
    RE: I humble request enlightenment.
    I recommend the ext3 file system over the reiserfs. I wouldn't share home directories. some distros may install things a little differently and what not. I'd give each different distro it's own home partition. BUT if you chose to share /home's make sure you automatically mount whatever partition you have /home on in both distros or you won't be able to find /home. You may be able to log in though (never tried a homeless login). you can mount partitions cross distros. I wouldn't recommend sharing home at all, nope. What do you mean folder as a mount point? Like a directory?
    Link to this post 11 Jun 09

I recommend the ext3 file system over the reiserfs.

I wouldn't share home directories. some distros may install things a little differently and what not. I'd give each different distro it's own home partition. BUT if you chose to share /home's make sure you automatically mount whatever partition you have /home on in both distros or you won't be able to find /home. You may be able to log in though (never tried a homeless login).

you can mount partitions cross distros. I wouldn't recommend sharing home at all, nope.

What do you mean folder as a mount point? Like a directory?

• mikesd
    RE: No installation
    [b]sven.hakonsson wrote:[/b] [quote] Is the installation simply failing to properly initialize the system, is there something wrong with the way I have the booting set up, or could it be that my Mandriva disk is flawed?[/quote] what does dmesg say?

sven.hakonsson wrote:

Is the installation simply failing to properly initialize the system, is there something wrong with the way I have the booting set up, or could it be that my Mandriva disk is flawed?

what does dmesg say?

• mikesd
    RE: No installation
    [b]abrenar wrote:[/b] [quote] any idea what's that package is for? and if i didnt download it i cant log in and the prompts restarted asking me again to log in.[/quote] Well, if you don't tell us the package name, how can we help you?

abrenar wrote:

any idea what's that package is for? and if i didnt download it i cant log in and the prompts restarted asking me again to log in.

Well, if you don't tell us the package name, how can we help you?

• mikesd
    RE: Should I Try Fedora?
    What was your problem w/ openSUSE? I'm not a big RH/Fedora fan. I feel they break things. My personal opinion. I happen to use openSUSE and love it. I've always got more helpful support from the suse guys too than from the red hat guys. I would say, though, if you're used to the apt setup, then stick w/ the Debian based distros. I don't and won't use them, but if you like them more power to you. If you want to start to learn rpm based distros, then give opensuse a try again. Post in the Opensuse forms any problems you have and I'm sure you'll get some help.

What was your problem w/ openSUSE? I'm not a big RH/Fedora fan. I feel they break things. My personal opinion. I happen to use openSUSE and love it. I've always got more helpful support from the suse guys too than from the red hat guys. I would say, though, if you're used to the apt setup, then stick w/ the Debian based distros. I don't and won't use them, but if you like them more power to you. If you want to start to learn rpm based distros, then give opensuse a try again. Post in the Opensuse forms any problems you have and I'm sure you'll get some help.

• mikesd
    RE: YAST -- (1st Thread)
    I think it's one of the most intuitive and easiest tools to use I've had the pleasure of using on any linux distro.
    Link to this post 03 Jun 09

I think it's one of the most intuitive and easiest tools to use I've had the pleasure of using on any linux distro.

• mikesd
    RE: We need some form of moderation on PM's!
    Message boards and forums are not something new to the internet. Shouldn't this have been thought of and implemented from the get go?
    Link to this post 27 May 09

Message boards and forums are not something new to the internet. Shouldn't this have been thought of and implemented from the get go?

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board