• Linux.com Member
  • Last Logged In: 02 Dec 11

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • Wood Jeff
    RE: stipulations for using the Linux kernel?
    But does that mean that I would have to follow other unix standards (if i don't modify the kernel): i.e. directory structure, file system structure, etc. ? What about Pay Per Use? i.e. So that I'm not having to reinvent the wheel, I'm looking at using the Linux Kernel in an OS for arcade games (yes, the kind you put your quarters into). Because I'm not selling the OS (nor intent on making any changes to the Kernel) but rather charging people to play the games that will sit on top of the Kernel, would that violate any license agreements?
    Link to this post 02 Dec 11

But does that mean that I would have to follow other unix standards (if i don't modify the kernel): i.e. directory structure, file system structure, etc. ?

What about Pay Per Use? i.e. So that I'm not having to reinvent the wheel, I'm looking at using the Linux Kernel in an OS for arcade games (yes, the kind you put your quarters into). Because I'm not selling the OS (nor intent on making any changes to the Kernel) but rather charging people to play the games that will sit on top of the Kernel, would that violate any license agreements?

• Wood Jeff
    RE: Introductions
    Thanks!
    Link to this post 15 Nov 11

Thanks!

• Wood Jeff
    RE: stipulations for using the Linux kernel?
    Thank you.
    Link to this post 15 Nov 11

Thank you.

• Wood Jeff
    stipulations for using the Linux kernel?
    I am working on a new open source operating system for games and I would like to be able to use the Linux kernel so that I am not re-inventing the wheel. What are the stipulations for using the Linux kernel? Being that it is strictly for games, what *nix (Unix, Posix, Linux, etc.) standards do I follow, if any? Since it is an OS for games, would I be inclined to follow these standards or, more bluntly, can I do with the kernel as I will? My goal with the gaming OS is to strip out everything in Linux that would not or may not pertain to games or game development and maybe change a thing or two (but NOT in the kernel since the API for game developers will be a separate thing). Basically: what am I allowed to do with the kernel? what am I required to do? what cannot I do?
    Link to this post 12 Nov 11

I am working on a new open source operating system for games and I would like to be able to use the Linux kernel so that I am not re-inventing the wheel. What are the stipulations for using the Linux kernel? Being that it is strictly for games, what *nix (Unix, Posix, Linux, etc.) standards do I follow, if any? Since it is an OS for games, would I be inclined to follow these standards or, more bluntly, can I do with the kernel as I will? My goal with the gaming OS is to strip out everything in Linux that would not or may not pertain to games or game development and maybe change a thing or two (but NOT in the kernel since the API for game developers will be a separate thing).

Basically: what am I allowed to do with the kernel? what am I required to do? what cannot I do?

• Wood Jeff
    Introductions
    Hello. My name is Jeff and have been a linux fan for a little over a dozen years. I'm really into the the command line stuff. I enjoyed writing batch files back in the days of DOS but writing Linux scripts on the command line is much more fun and invigorating. I am in the process of getting my Linux+ certification but am wondering what else I would need to do or read or study or whatever to advance my Linux training (on my own time)?
    Link to this post 12 Nov 11

Hello. My name is Jeff and have been a linux fan for a little over a dozen years. I'm really into the the command line stuff. I enjoyed writing batch files back in the days of DOS but writing Linux scripts on the command line is much more fun and invigorating. I am in the process of getting my Linux+ certification but am wondering what else I would need to do or read or study or whatever to advance my Linux training (on my own time)?

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board