• Last Logged In: 10 Dec 10

Latest Posts

Posted by
Topic
Post Preview
Posted
  • Code_Bleu
    using Xautomation to screen scrape
    Does anyone know of any good tutorials on using xautomation? Im wanting to be able to automatically go to the next stumble page on my StumbleUpon account after every few seconds and then be able to stop it when it lands on something i want to read. I just discovered xautomation and am completely clueless on how to use it.:S
    Link to this post 17 May 09

Does anyone know of any good tutorials on using xautomation? Im wanting to be able to automatically go to the next stumble page on my StumbleUpon account after every few seconds and then be able to stop it when it lands on something i want to read. I just discovered xautomation and am completely clueless on how to use it.:S

• Code_Bleu
    Getting More Q's answered using IRC
    Are you tired of going into a channel on IRC, asking your question, and not getting any responses? Wouldnt it be nice to not have to constantly read every line in a channel just to see how you can help someone else? Please check out my blog entry on this topic. [url]http://linux.com/community/blogs/Getting-More-Qs-answered-using-IRC.html[/url]
    Link to this post 17 May 09

Are you tired of going into a channel on IRC, asking your question, and not getting any responses? Wouldnt it be nice to not have to constantly read every line in a channel just to see how you can help someone else?

Please check out my blog entry on this topic.
    http://linux.com/community/blogs/Getting-More-Qs-answered-using-IRC.html

• Code_Bleu
    RE: hdd partition for dual boot
    [quote]OK Jason, Your suggestion about the log files crashing the OS (particularly on limited size) aligns with my reading. I'll likely follow your counsel. I have not read the LVM piece yet but it sounds "logical" to me as well. Probably follow that one too. I'll look a little closer at the ext4 fs format...I have read only one article to base my opinion on. And another little jewel you provided was the existence of a gparted live CD. That really helps. Many thanks, b.line [/quote] b.line, No prob. Glad that i could help. Does that mean i get the little "applaud" for that[size=2][/size]? ;)[color=#A7A7A7][/color]
    Link to this post 15 May 09

OK Jason,

Your suggestion about the log files crashing the OS (particularly on limited size) aligns with my reading. I'll likely follow your counsel.

I have not read the LVM piece yet but it sounds "logical" to me as well. Probably follow that one too.

I'll look a little closer at the ext4 fs format...I have read only one article to base my opinion on.

And another little jewel you provided was the existence of a gparted live CD. That really helps.

Many thanks,

b.line

b.line,

No prob. Glad that i could help. Does that mean i get the little "applaud" for that? ;)

• Code_Bleu
    RE: hdd partition for dual boot
    I would recommend that you do use a separate partition for /var. If you keep the var directory in the / partition and your apps generate a lot of log files this could potentially run your / partition out of space and crash the OS. By having a separate partition for /var helps keep your / partition from running out of space. I would agree with Zillion on the LVM approach, however I would add the /var as a separate Logical Volume (ext3 or 4) /boot = 200MB LVM VG = 35GB ( LVM LV ext3 or 4) / = 5GB ( LVM LV ext3 or 4) /var = 5GB ( LVM LV ext3 or 4) /home =20GB Remaining 5GB in VG can be used to extend any of the LV's later swap = twice size of memory up to 1 or 2GB As long as you have what you need for the XP partition, I do not see any reason why you could not run gparted (ie. gparted live cd) to shrink your XP partition size.
    Link to this post 15 May 09

I would recommend that you do use a separate partition for /var. If you keep the var directory in the / partition and your apps generate a lot of log files this could potentially run your / partition out of space and crash the OS. By having a separate partition for /var helps keep your / partition from running out of space.

I would agree with Zillion on the LVM approach, however I would add the /var as a separate Logical Volume

(ext3 or 4) /boot = 200MB
    LVM VG = 35GB

( LVM LV ext3 or 4) / = 5GB
    ( LVM LV ext3 or 4) /var = 5GB
    ( LVM LV ext3 or 4) /home =20GB

Remaining 5GB in VG can be used to extend any of the LV's later

swap = twice size of memory up to 1 or 2GB

As long as you have what you need for the XP partition, I do not see any reason why you could not run gparted (ie. gparted live cd) to shrink your XP partition size.

Who we are ?

The Linux Foundation is a non-profit consortium dedicated to the growth of Linux.

More About the foundation...

Frequent Questions

Join / Linux Training / Board