San Jose, Calif. – September 7, 2006 – – Continuent, Inc., the leading provider of commercial open source middleware solutions for database high availability, today announced Continuent™ uni/cluster for MySQL, aka Continuent m/cluster 2006.
Continuent uni/cluster for MySQL is part of a suite of Continuent products that deliver high availability for virtually any database environment.
This newest version of Continuent's uni/cluster software provides the highest levels of availability and scalability for applications built using the MySQL database, and includes support for MySQL 4.1 and MySQL 5.0 on all platforms.
Continuent uni/cluster for MySQL offers a multi-master approach to replication. Data is committed and available to all nodes in the cluster simultaneously, effectively eliminating data latency. The elimination of data latency also allows uni/cluster to offer more effective load balancing because any database server can be used to process user queries.
"With Continuent uni/cluster for MySQL organizations have insurance against outgrowing the capacity of their system,“ said Eero Teerikorpi, Continuent CEO. "They can add new database servers on the fly and take advantage of m/cluster’s highly efficient load balancing, where database activity is directed to the least busy server. This can be vital to maintaining continuous data availability for maximum productivity and meet customer expectations."
“As organizations continue to adopt MySQL and other open source technologies for business-critical applications, high availability and scale-out solutions such as Continuent uni/cluster are increasingly important," said Zack Urlocker, executive vice president at MySQL. “Continuent uni/cluster for MySQL addresses what many enterprises need – a cost-effective, reliable way to ensure that MySQL database applications are available 24/7.”
New features in Continuent uni/cluster for MySQL include:
1. Support for MySQL 5.0: Continuent uni/cluster for MySQL now supports MySQL 5.0 and its new enterprise features, including stored procedures, allowing scalable performance and fully supports complex queries with near-linear scalability.
2. Support for MySQL’s most popular storage engines: Continuent uni/cluster for MySQL supports MySQL’s most popular storage engines, MyISAM and InnoDB, and is integrated with native database functions for seamless integration and easy management. The product creates a single virtual database view of multiple MySQL databases and is designed to integrate seamlessly with MySQL-based applications.
3. Support for fast, fully automated failover: Continuent uni/cluster for MySQL fully supports sub-second, transparent failover including re-start of transactions. This brings the highest level of availability to the MySQL market.
4. Support for databases running on heterogeneous computers and at various version levels: Continuent uni/cluster for MySQL solves the upgrade problem. There is no need to have all databases at the same version level or even running on the identical hardware. This preserves investments in existing hardware and software.
5. Support for online maintenance: Continuent uni/cluster for MySQL allows machines to be added to or removed from the cluster real-time without any need to take the system down. This is an improvement over other industry solutions that require the entire system to be taken out of service in order to add another node.
Continuent provides database high availability software that ensures business continuity for the enterprise. Continuent's solutions deliver the highest levels of availability and scalability for business-critical data to eliminate costly downtime, manage high growth and guarantee customers' peace of mind. Continuent's industry breakthrough software works with all major databases, including MySQL®, PostgreSQL, Sybase®, Microsoft® SQL Server, Oracle® and IBM® DB2®, to support today's heterogeneous database environments. The company offers both an enterprise-grade database high availability solution as well as core open source software for developers. Continuent is headquartered in Emeryville, CA, with research labs in France and Finland. For more information, please visit www.continuent.com.
Press Contacts: email@example.com
MySQL is a registered trademark of MySQL AB in the USA and other countries. Microsoft is a registered trademark of Microsoft Corporation. Sybase is a registered trademark of Sybase, Inc. Oracle is a registered trademark of Oracle. IBM and DB2 are registered trademarks of IBM in the United States. Other products mentioned may be trademarks of their respective corporations."