eXo Platform is one of the first Open Source portal that has been certified JSR 168. It allows developers to build composite web applications using for instance Portlets and Java Server Faces technologies. This new version includes a lot of improvements such as:
- an advanced authentification service that can rely on LDAP servers
- a new template service on top of JSF renderers
- a database service based on Hibernate 3 that can be used on a large variety of databases
- a chart service based on JFreeChart
- a document reader service that can transform binary file with a supported MimeType to a text.
- a security service has been improved to support SSO.
More over in the next quaters, eXo Platform will provide new application such as:
- the eXo Enterprise Content Management based on top of Java Content Repository (JSR 170).
- the eXo Business Intelligence, an enhanced integration of the ObjectWeb project, SpagoBI: http://spagobi.objectweb.org/
- the eXo Groupware, it provides collaboration tools such as forum, webmail, shared calendar or wiki (based on ObjectWeb's XWiki: http://xwiki.objectweb.org/
All the new features and strategic changes are described in a new TheServerSide.com article
"This article revisits the open source eXo platform, detailing the most recent release in the first of two articles, discussing eXo's migration from a mere portal to a full product line incorporating the Java Content Repository API, enterprise content management, business intelligence, and groupware."