How Containers Scale: Service Mesh vs. Traditional Architecture
Containers continue to be a hot topic. Some claim they are on the verge of a meteoric rise to dominate the data center. Others find them only suitable for cloud. And still others are waiting patiently to see if containers are the SDN of app infrastructure or not – highly touted by pundits but rarely put it into practice in production.
A quick perusal of research and surveys shows that containers certainly are gaining traction — somewhere.
- 32% of companies spending $500,000 or more a year on license and usage fees for container technologies (Portworx Annual Container Adoption Survey 2017)
- Adopters Quintuple Their Container Count within 9 Months (Datadog 8 Surprising Facts about Real Docker Adoption)
- Container density averages 10 containers per host (Sysdig Docker Usage Report 2017)
- In 2017 Docker adoption surged to 35 percent (RightScale 2017 State of the Cloud)
- 5% of organizations want to adopt containers for deployment of traditional network hosted app services (F5 Networks State of Application Delivery 2017)
Read more at DZone