BackupEDGE SS?01.02.02 adds support for second-generation DVD+RW devices. This means that, in addition to supporting tape drives, changers and libraries, users may protect their systems by backing up to any of the following optical media: DVD-RAM, DVD-R, DVD+RW, DVD+R, CD-R and CD-RW.
"DVD devices provide exceptional capabilities for Linux users, especially in replicated sites.", said Tom Podnar, President of Microlite. "They can replace both the CD-ROM drive AND the tape drive on large numbers of systems, providing lower integration costs, backups on inexpensive, long lasting media, instant access to archived files, and unprecedented speed and simplicity when disaster recovery is needed."
Brief Features List
- Re-writable archives may be created on tape, DVD-RAM, DVD+RW and CD-RW media. DVD-RAM media is rated at 100,000 re-writes, while DVD+RW is rated at 1,000.
- Write once archives for permanent archives and system replication may be made on inexpensive DVD-R, DVD+R and CD-R media.
- No special device driver is needed for DVD devices. They are seen as a CD-ROM by the operating system. BackupEDGE SS does the rest.
- Disaster Recovery (DR) media may be created on floppy, CD or DVD media.
- The above features may be combined to create bootable backups on CD and DVD media.
DR media (and bootable backups) contain full network stacks. Users may restore from remote devices. Additionally, administrators may telnet or modem directly into the booted DR media to perform a remote recovery from any where in the world.
- The RecoverEDGE DR system is constantly updated to keep up with the changes in Linux. This release fully understands how to re-create systems on the latest releases, such as Red Hat 7.3, Suse 8.0 and Mandrake 8.2. It does extensive system detection and understands the intricacies of the LILO and GRUB bootloaders, as well as ext2, ext3, Reiser, JFS and XFS filesystems and how to re-create them.
- Instant File RestoreTM provides the fastest possible restoration of files and directories. Typical access time to any file on an indexed CD or DVD archive is under one second.
More information on the tape, changer, optical media and additional operating systems supported by BackupEDGE SS can be found at the Microlite Corporation web site.
BackupEDGE SS 01.02.02 is now available worldwide from UNIX and Linux resellers and value added distributors. Prices start at $90.00(US) for personal or non-commercial use and $300.00(US) for commercial licenses. Fully functional evaluation copies are now available from the Microlite Corporation web site.
About Microlite Corporation
Microlite Corporation has been serving the Unix community since 1983, and has been producing high-quality backup and crash recovery software since 1987. For more information, visit www.microlite.com or contact Microlite Sales at 724-375-6711 or 888-257-3343, or by mailing to firstname.lastname@example.org.