Piotr Pokora writes "Lodz, October 10th 2005 -- The Midgard Project has released stable release
version 1.7.2 of the Midgard Open Source Content Management System.
Midgard's 1.7 branch is a major overhaul of the whole Content Management
System. Besides the stable and mature Content Management features of first
generation Midgard, it also ships a preview version of second generation
Midgard capabilities, allowing developers to have a glimpse at the new day
1.7.2 is a bugfix release.
Midgard 1.7 for end users
For the end users, Midgard 1.7 brings the mature MidCOM Content
Management interface version 2.4, and the new Midgard Site
Wizard for easy website creation.
The new MidCOM has been developed with performance in mind, and
has been moved from the Midgard database into the file system.
MidCOM also includes a new output caching system.
In addition to performance, MidCOM's new features include a
full-fledged metadata management system and integrated content
search using Apache Lucene.
Midgard Site Wizard is the new default way of building Midgard
powered websites. System administrator can use the easy
web-based tool for setting up new organizations, websites and
layout templates within the Midgard database.
Be in control of your content On the applications front,
Midgard includes several new tools, including a social
bookmarks manager and an online order processing and shop
Midgard 1.7 for developers
For developers, Midgard 1.7 brings the first preview of the
Midgard2 programming interfaces, including MgdSchema, Java
support and the new Query Builder. The new programming
interfaces ensure greater flexibility, and have already been
tested in demanding environments.
MgdSchema is the new object model for Midgard built on top of
the GObject libraries. Define your own data structure in schema
XML files, and get the full querying and extension mechanisms
of Midgard available for them.
Midgard's new Java support provides full Java Content
Repository support for the Midgard Content Management System.
This enables integration and content migration between Midgard
and other enterprise systems.
Midgard Query Builder is the new way to build database queries
within the Midgard database. It supports grouped OR queries,
and making queries from all properties of the MgdSchema
The MidCOM component framework bundled with Midgard 1.7
includes also several developer-friendly features. The new
Component Base Classes make component development fast and
easy, and the sessioning service enables writing of continuous
Changes from 1.6.0 releases:
- MgdSchema (Data structure abstraction layer)
- New internal types builded with GObjects and GType system
- XML based types definition
- New MidgardSchema directive for pointing correct MgdSchema
- Page and style elements are handled by midgard internals
data instead of Apache tables.
- Classes are defined in XML file
- New API methods for new MgdSchema objects
- Ability to run midgard-php from command line
- API changes:
- - mgd_auth_midgard does not send cookie anymore
- http://www.midgard-project.org/documentation/refer ence/other/mgd_auth_midgard.html
- MidgardQueryBuilder class creates and executes SQL queries
- New file system based MidCOM 2.4 architecture
- Integrated full-text search using Apache Lucene
- Metadata management system
- Several new components including bookmarks management and
- New midcom-template package
- Site Creation Wizard for easy Midgard site building
- New style templates ready to use with the Site Wizard
- Datagard's 'update database' option is changed to make
updates from previous Midgard installations
- PEAR packages installation supported by Datagard
Changes from 1.7.1 release:
Fixed memory leak in style and page elements engine.
Fixed version string in midgard-config
- Fixed memory leak in mgd_include_snippet
Midgard-apache ( both modules )
- Style and page elements initialized only when midgard-root
Planned for next releases
- Next scheduled release: October 2005
- Automated testing releases
- Automated database MgdSchema management and table
- Deprecation of the classic functional Midgard API in favor
- MgdSchema and Query Builder
User and developers support:
Mailing list: email@example.com
IRC: #midgard on irc.midgard-project.org
The Midgard Content Management Framework was initially released
in May 1999, and has since gathered a sizable user and
developer community. Midgard powers thousands of web sites
ranging from simple organizational websites to major portals
like New Zealand eGovernment site and Playbill.
Midgard is being developed by an international team of
professionals. Midgard's development team includes new media
designers, system integrators and content management
consultants. Midgard development is being supported by several
commercial and governmental entities
including the European Union.
Piotr Pokora, Midgard release manager
Henri Bergius, Midgard spokesman