Piotr Pokora writes "Lodz, June 21st 2006 -- The Midgard Project has released stable
release version 1.7.6 of the Midgard Open Source Content Management System.
Midgard's 1.7 branch is a major overhaul of the whole Content
Management System. Besides the stable and mature Content Management
features of first generation Midgard, it also ships a preview version
of second generation Midgard capabilities, allowing developers to
have a glimpse at the new day of Midgard2.
1.7.6 "Fotomodelo" provides new PAM configuration features for Midgard
authentication module. It also includes minor fixes for Midgard Quota
and fixes which were included in 184.108.40.206 subreleases.
Midgard 1.7 for end users
For the end users, Midgard 1.7 brings the mature MidCOM Content
Management interface version 2.4, and the new Midgard Site Wizard for
easy website creation.
The new MidCOM has been developed with performance in mind, and has
been moved from the Midgard database into the file system. MidCOM
also includes a new output caching system.
In addition to performance, MidCOM's new features include a full-
fledged metadata management system and integrated content search
using Apache Lucene.
Midgard Site Wizard is the new default way of building Midgard
powered websites. System administrator can use the easy web-based
tool for setting up new organizations, websites and layout templates
within the Midgard database.
Be in control of your content On the applications front, Midgard
includes several new tools, including a social bookmarks manager and
an online order processing and shop system.
Midgard 1.7 for developers
For developers, Midgard 1.7 brings the first preview of the Midgard2
programming interfaces, including MgdSchema, Java support and the new
Query Builder. The new programming interfaces ensure greater
flexibility, and have already been tested in demanding environments.
MgdSchema is the new object model for Midgard built on top of the
GObject libraries. Define your own data structure in schema XML
files, and get the full querying and extension mechanisms of Midgard
available for them.
Midgard's new Java support provides full Java Content Repository
support for the Midgard Content Management System. This enables
integration and content migration between Midgard and other
Midgard Query Builder is the new way to build database queries within
the Midgard database. It supports grouped OR queries, and making
queries from all properties of the MgdSchema objects.
The MidCOM component framework bundled with Midgard 1.7 includes also
several developer-friendly features. The new Component Base Classes
make component development fast and easy, and the sessioning service
enables writing of continuous applications.
Changes from 1.6.0 releases:
- MgdSchema (Data structure abstraction layer)
- New internal types builded with GObjects and GType system
- XML based types definition
- New MidgardSchema directive for pointing correct MgdSchema path.
- Page and style elements are handled by midgard internals data instead of Apache tables.
- Classes are defined in XML file
- New API methods for new MgdSchema objects
- Ability to run midgard-php from command line
- mgd_auth_midgard does not send cookie anymore
- mgd_auth_midgard does not send cookie anymore
- MidgardQueryBuilder class creates and executes SQL queries
New file system based MidCOM 2.4 architecture
- Integrated full-text search using Apache Lucene
- Metadata management system
- Several new components including bookmarks management and online store
- New midcom-template package
- Site Creation Wizard for easy Midgard site building
- New style templates ready to use with the Site Wizard
- Datagard's 'update database' option is changed to make updates from previous Midgard installations
- PEAR packages installation supported by Datagard
Changes from 1.7.5 release:
- Fixed limit for defined type's record in midgard_quota class
- Disk usage size returned for every person
- Pam service filename configurable
- "Trusted" authentication type fix
- New directive 'MidgardPamFile' for PAM authentication type
- Fixed Snippetdir copy function
Planned for next releases
- Next scheduled 1.8alpha3 release: June 2006
- Automated testing releases
- Automated database MgdSchema management and table initialization
- Deprecation of the classic functional Midgard API in favor of
MgdSchema and Query Builder
- New replication system preview
Download page for latest release:
List of changes made in MidCoM 2.4.6:
Features and screenshots:
Getting started with Midgard:
User and developers support:
- Mailing list: firstname.lastname@example.org
- IRC: #midgard on irc.midgard-project.org
The Midgard Content Management Framework was initially released in May
1999, and has since gathered a sizable user and developer community.
Midgard powers thousands of web sites ranging from simple organizational
websites to major portals like New Zealand eGovernment site and
Midgard is being developed by an international team of professionals.
Midgard's development team includes new media designers, system
integrators and content management consultants. Midgard development is
being supported by several commercial and governmental entities
including the European Union.
Piotr Pokora, Midgard release manager
Henri Bergius, Midgard spokesman
The Midgard Project