Minutes of the GNOME Board meeting 26th February 2002 ===================================================== Present: Jonathan Blandford Jim Gettys Jody Goldberg Telsa Gwynne (minutes) James Henstridge (:35) Miguel de Icaza (:35) George Lebl Tim Ney Havoc Pennington (chair) Regrets: Daniel Veillard Missing: Nat Friedman Federico Mena Quintero Actions done: ============= ACTION: Havoc draft the agenda of the Advisory Board meeting => Done. See discussion section below. Actions ======= ACTION: Tim, John and Havoc to get a draft statement on the relation with the free software foundation and license policy. => Still pending. ACTION: Jim to restart the font discussions with various parties => Jim had a meeting last week with various people and will continue to work on this. ACTION: Nat and Jonathan talk to gnome-sysadmin about adding ssh tunneling for GNOME CVS access => This has been postponed until after Gnome 2. ACTION: Nat to talk to Havoc to get a discussion about rules w.r.t. backward compatibility rules in the 2.x time. => Nat has been on holiday; got back yesterday. ACTION: Tim and Miguel check for logistic and policy of funding people travels and accomodations. => Tim has been following this up. We have several individual nominations/requests for funding, but need the overall picture. ACTION: Jody and Leslie to find possble presentators from KDE, StarOffice and CUPS. => Still pending New Actions: ============ ACTION: Havoc to bounce draft by-laws to foundation-list so everyone can see them. Discussion: =========== On the Advisory Board meeting agenda: the general theme is sharing information. Current proposal: o Presentation on Gnome 2.0 to open meeting. o Looking at current and future userbase: will invite members to make presentations on that, as we expect several Advisory Board members to have information on that. o Find out what features the Advisory Board members would like to see in Gnome. o Discussion of future releases: what is contained in 'platform', 'apps', 'fifth toe' (that name makes sense to people who know the Gnome foot has four toes but not to anyone else..) o What is Gnome currently lacking? (This might be part of the initial 2.0 presentation.) Nat wanted to discuss ABIs: guarantees and plans. He wasn't here, so postponed. Tim Ney forwarded the proposed by-laws for the legal entity that is the Gnome Foundation. They're long and legalistic and arrived yesterday, so not everyone has read them yet. It will take a foundation board meeting to adopt them, so we all need to read them and agree (or disagree..). Havoc will send them to foundation-list too so everyone has a chance to see them and comment. We hope to adopt them (or to say why not) at the next meeting. This is in two weeks' time so comments should come before then. Telsa
March 7, 2002
Minutes of the GNOME Board meeting 26th February 2002
Author: JT Smith
Gwynne: "Late. Mea culpa."
- Open Source