December 8, 2001

Minutes of the GNOME Board meeting December 6 2001

Author: JT Smith

"This was the first teleconference of the new board."
Minutes of the GNOME Board meeting December 6 2001
          ===================================================


Presents:
=========

    Havoc Pennington (chairing)
    Daniel Veillard  (minutes)
    Miguel de Icaza  
    Nat Friedman
    James Henstridge
    Telsa Gwynne
    Federico Mena
    Jonathan Blandford
    Jody Goldberg
    Jim Gettys
    George Lebl
    Tim Ney 

Administrativia:
================

  - this was the first teleconference of the new board
  - it ran for twice as long as usual meeting to start the
    work in the new group.

Decisions:
==========

  - Deciding normal time/frequency of board meetings
  - GUADEC III is expected to take place in Seville, Spain, 4-6th of April 2002
  - The new board thanks the people who served on the board last year and the
    Election Committee who ran the election this year
  - Investigating moving to ssh for GNOME CVS authentication if feasible

Actions done:
=============

  ACTION: Tim to organize a confcall with the Guadec 3 organizers in Spain
          Dan and Havoc will join the call
     => Done, with Dan, Havoc, Leslie and the core of the local organizing
        comitee met on the phone

Actions:
========

  ACTION: Tim to get the membership logos on the foundation page
     => in progress.
        
  ACTION: Tim, John and Havoc to get a draft statement on the relation
          with the free software and license policy.
     => Tim and Havoc will continue

  ACTION: Tim to work on the Trademark registration for "GNOME" and the foot.
     => in progress

  ACTION: Jim to restart the font discussions with various parties
     => in progress

New Actions:
============

  ACTION: Havoc to fix the board list to reflect the new group
     => Done

  ACTION: Nat to solve the arrangement for the teleconferences

  ACTION: Nat and Jonathan talk to gnome-sysadmin about adding ssh
          tunelling for GNOME ssh access

Discussion:
===========

 - approve last meeting minutes:
   The people present on the last board meeting think they are accurate.
   http://mail.gnome.org/archives/foundation-announce/2001-December/msg00000.html
 - The current board thanks the previous board members for serving
   the foundation during the last year.

 - The board also thanks the Election Committee for a job well done,
   the election process was clear and proceeded smoothly.

 - Outline how the board has been working so far:
   10 first minutes discussing the current situation
   Check the state of the log of actions + approval of previous meeting minutes
   Agenda + chair + minute and try to keep on topic
   Try to work by consensus
   Meetings were every 2 weeks, one hour each
   If someone misses the call, they should send regrets to the board list and 
   this will be recorded
 
 - Briefing on some of the recent/pending issues we've been dealing with
   extend the list:
     - incorporation process:
       Tim explained the current state of the incorporation. Currently
       working on:
         + tax exemption status
         + trademarking the GNOME Foot and the "GNOME" name
         + Licensing and Copyright policies
     - Marketing Working Group: started by Leslie Proctor with representative
       from Gnome companies, includes a plan about shows and releases
     - fonts:
       Jim Gettys explained the status of the efforts done to get freely
       redistributable fonts
       The goal is to solve the font installation problem in general (i.e.
       for all free XWindow desktops)
 
 - Work out when to have future meetings
   Tuesday every weeks for an hour for the next month and probably back to
   a meeting every 2 weeks thereafter.
 
 - GUADEC 3:
   Tentatively the next GUADEC will take place in Seville, 4-6th of April 2002

 - Moving to ssh for GNOME CVS authentication
   pserver is not secure, the board think it's a good idea to try to use
   ssh assuming the sysadmin team thinks it's doable/maintainable.
 
 - Who wants to chair/secretary the next meetings
   Havoc and Daniel will repectively chair and take minutes for the next month,
   officers will be elected within the board in January or early next year.

 - Next meeting next Tuesday 11 December

Daniel

-- 
Daniel Veillard      | Red Hat Network https://rhn.redhat.com/
veillard@redhat.com  | libxml Gnome XML XSLT toolkit  http://xmlsoft.org/
http://veillard.com/ | Rpmfind RPM search engine http://rpmfind.net/
_______________________________________________

Category:

  • Open Source
Click Here!