November 16, 2001

Minutes of the GNOME Board meeting November 13 2001

Author: JT Smith

"Begin to to work on the Trademark registration for "GNOME" and the foot..."
           Minutes of the GNOME Board meeting November 13 2001
           ===================================================
 
 Presents:
 =========
 
     Havoc Pennington (chairing)
     Daniel Veillard  (minutes)
     Jim Gettys
     Maciej Stachowiak
     Tim Ney           (director)
     Owen Taylor
     Miguel de Icaza
     Federico          (from :25)
     John Heard        (from :30)
 
     Leslie            (from :30, invited to discuss the PR plans)
 
 Regrets:
 ========
     Bart Decrem
     Dan Mueth
 
 Missing:
 ========
     Raph Levien
 
 Decisions:
 ==========
 
    - Begin to to work on the Trademark registration for "GNOME" and the foot
    - The board suggest the release team start being stubborn and strong against
      API change requests.
 
 Action Done:
 ============
 
   ACTION: Havoc to redirect gnome-press-contact to Leslie
      => Done, and added Tim
 
 Actions:
 ========
 
   ACTION: Tim to get the membership logos on the foundation page
      => in progress, it can get a bit bureaucratic
 
   ACTION: Tim, John and Havoc to get a draft statement on the relation
           with the free software and license policy.
      => in progress
 
 New Actions:
 ============
 
   ACTION: Tim to work on the Trademark registration for "GNOME" and the foot.
 
 Discussion:
 ===========
 
  - approve last meeting minutes:
    http://mail.gnome.org/archives/foundation-announce/2001-November/msg00000.html
 
  - Discussing the topic to discuss with a representative from HP
    We met informally on the phone with him to discuss HP/Gnome
    relationship like we did 2 weeks ago with a Sun representative
      - printing and fonts
 
  - Discuss issue of Tim's candidacy, make sure everyone is OK with
    however we are proceeding
    Director and CEO usually serve on the Board of Director as Maciej posted,
    this is common practice.
    If the board were to change from decisions by consensus to decisions by
    vote, then Tim would get a vote, if elected as a board member.  He
    wouldn't vote in the case of a conflict of interest.
 
  - Report on ALS
    Linux Terminal Servers, there is specific problems, Havoc sent an
    email to gnome-hacker
    Accessibility was tested and demonstrated
    GStreamer presentation was looking like that it's coming along nicely
    which is great because we were poor in that regard in comparison to other
    recent desktops. The Xine player was impressive too.
    Leslie gathered a lots of contacts and informations,
    it also proved that the "Friends of GNOME" program really got a
    lot of support.
 
  - Update on elections
    Check gnome-announces, they are delayed by a week, but it's fine.
 
  - Update on incorporation
    Going forward we have 3 attorneys working on current legal matters.
    We would have to do a Trademark search, then register it.
    Seems we have to do that since we have the resources now.
    => approval of that process
 
  - Update on GNOME 2
    The second platform alpha shipped, it is API frozen now but
    this could be discussed directly with the release Team for accessibility
    only purposes.
    The board suggest the release team start being stubborn and strong against
    API change requests.
    The window manager is a problem, sawfish is the main option but we are
    not sure when it will get ported.
 
  - Discuss Leslie's Proctors PR plans:
    The Marketing Working Group is meeting every 2 weeks
    Building a month by month task list
    Trying to build "global partners" who can disseminate informations
    Cross-platform capability is one key PR point
    Building a budget for marketing, and asking member companies for help
 
 Daniel
 
 --
 Daniel Veillard      | Red Hat Network https://rhn.redhat.com/
 veillard@redhat.com  | libxml Gnome XML XSLT toolkit  http://xmlsoft.org/
 http://veillard.com/ | Rpmfind RPM search engine http://rpmfind.net/
 _______________________________________________
 foundation-list mailing list
 foundation-list@gnome.org
 http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-list

Category:

  • Open Source
Click Here!