July 27, 2009, 6:30 am
Looking for some summer fun? Try the latest milestone release for openSUSE 11.2! Milestone 4 is hot off the openSUSE Build Service and ready for your testing pleasure.This release includes updates to KDE, GNOME, NetworkManager, Samba, YaST, and many other updated packages.
This is a Milestone Release, one of several that lead up to the 11.2 final release in November. It may not be suitable for production systems, but is ready for contributors who want to help with testing and development for 11.2.
Changes Since openSUSE 11.2 Milestone 3
Lots of changes since the M3 release! The live CDs can now be deployed using USB sticks ‚Äî which is particularly important for netbook computers without CD or DVD drives. The live CDs now contain mc, and the KDE live CDs include YaKuake. And YaST has a new Qt-based Control Center. Other updates and changes:
- Linux kernel 126.96.36.199
- CUPS 1.3.10
- NetworkManager 0.7.1
- Samba 3.4.0
- Firefox 3.5
- KDE 4.3 RC1
- Qt 4.5.2
- Qt Creator 1.2
- Seamonkey 2.0a3
- VirtualBox 3.0 beta 2
11.2 is looking fantastic. Want screenshots? We‚Äôve got ‚Äòem! Check out the shots here, and/or add your own.
Most Annoying Bugs
As this is a milestone release, 11.2 m4 does contain a few bugs that we know about, but should not stand between courageous contributors and release testing. The big bugs in 11.2 M4 are:
- Bug #525243: Booting the live CDs in VirtualBox, you‚Äôll get 800√ó600 resolution at start, no matter what was selected at boot.
- Bug #522025: X does not display properly in VirtualBox initially. This can be worked around by switching to a virtual console (Ctrl+F1) and then switching back to X (Ctrl+F7).
- Bug #525094: Some packages are missing from KDE live CDs, including plasma-addons and OpenOffice_org-kde4.
- Bug #496505: Live-CDs will not boot from USB if system has a CD-ROM drive.
- Bug #515529: During installation, an empty error box is shown during the bootloader config, but it does install properly.
You can track the Most Annoying Bugs on the wiki along with 11.2 development.
Testing! Testing! Testing!
As you can see, 11.2 M4 does have a few annoying bugs that we know about ‚Äî but there may be more lurking somewhere in the release that haven‚Äôt been found yet. If you want to make sure 11.2 final is free of Most Annoying Bugs, we‚Äôll need your help finding, reporting, and fixing those hidden bugs.
Holger Sickenberg has put out a call for testing team members. If you‚Äôre interested in doing some heavy testing on openSUSE, check out Holger‚Äôs announcement.
Get Milestone 4 Today!
What are you waiting for? Grab the milestone release today! Downloads are available at software.opensuse.org/developer/ right now.