Anonymous Reader writes "Scalix Introduces Scalix Community Edition, World's Most Advanced Free Email for Organizations.
Makes Commercial-Grade Email and Calendaring Affordable for Everyone in the Workplace.
San Mateo, CA--August 8, 2005--Scalix Corporation (www.scalix.com) the leading provider of email and calendaring software on Linux, today raised the bar for free email for organizations with the introduction of Scalix Community Edition, a free, unlimited use version of its award winning software. Scalix Community Edition makes email and calendaring available to any organization, delivering unprecedented levels of robustness and functionality in free email software. It includes a full version of Scalix's industrial-strength server and Scalix Web Access (SWA), a revolutionary cross-browser, cross-platform web client that delivers desktop-grade functionality in a web application. Scalix Web Access, hailed as the most advanced web mail and calendaring client in the market, makes Scalix Community Edition a unique and compelling offering for any organization. The software is available for download at www.scalix.com.
“Basic email communication has become ubiquitous, yet the focus of corporate email systems has primarily been on the knowledge worker,” said Julie Hanna Farris, Scalix founder and chief strategy officer. “Scalix Community Edition gives everyone in the organization cost-effective access to email. Our hope is that Community Edition will help to ensure that no employee, student or member of any organization is left out in the era of electronic communication.”
Scalix Community Edition was created in response to demand by organizations looking for an affordable email and calendaring platform that can support the varying functional needs of different types of users. These organizations commonly have diverse populations of users, often large in numbers, many with roles that lend themselves to less frequent email use than the typical knowledge worker. Examples include commercial industries with large labor workforces, such as retail and manufacturing, academia where the email requirements for students can vary widely from those of faculty and staff, and government agencies among others. The Scalix product line now makes email and calendaring accessible and affordable at all levels of an organization supporting Scalix’s goal of providing the most powerful and flexible email and calendaring solutions in the industry.
"Scalix gave us the ability to cost-effectively tailor our email environment to meet the needs of our advanced users as well as the more casual needs of over a thousand users, all on one platform,” said Joanna Jasper, Director of IT, Catawba College. "Scalix Community Edition is a compelling offering that will allow many organizations to make email accessible and affordable to everyone."
Organizations using legacy low cost or free email that are looking to move to a more modern environment with greater robustness and advanced functionality will also find Scalix Community Edition a compelling, cost-effective solution. Scalix Community Edition offers advantages in both end user functionality and email administration over alternative low cost or free email systems. These include:
• Quality and robustness of a field-proven, commercial grade email platform that offers superior reliability, scalability and security
• Industry’s most advanced web mail client with desktop grade functionality previously only available through proprietary desktop mail clients like MS Outlook or Outlook Express
• Ease of installation and administration
• Flexible, open architecture that can be customized, extended and integrated
• Seamless upgrade path to Scalix Enterprise Edition, for advanced functionality, including native full-function Outlook support, group scheduling, public folders and advanced wireless email and PIM support
Scalix Community Edition includes:
• Scalix email server, a robust, commercial-grade, highly scalable, secure and reliable platform
• Scalix Web Access with integrated personal calendaring and address book. Scalix Web Access is cross-browser and cross-platform, enabling it to work in Internet Explorer, Mozilla or Firefox on Windows, Linux, Macintosh and Unix desktops
• Support for all leading POP/IMAP email clients
• GUI installation wizard and web-based administration console
• Powerful scripting environment and full Linux command line access
• Community support through the Scalix Community Forum and fee-based incident support from Scalix
• Five Scalix Enterprise Edition user licenses
Scalix Community Edition is immediately downloadable at www.scalix.com.
About Scalix Corporation
Scalix has developed the industry's most powerful email and calendaring platform based on Linux and open systems. For organizations that are incorporating Linux into their infrastructure, Scalix offers a richly-featured, reliable and scalable messaging solution that blends seamlessly with both open and proprietary software, including Microsoft Outlook, Exchange and Active Directory. Scalix brings flexibility and freedom of choice to email and calendaring. Scalix's team of messaging industry veterans has helped pioneer the world's most successful messaging systems at IBM/Lotus, cc:Mail, Microsoft and Hewlett-Packard. The privately held company is headquartered in San Mateo, California, with offices and distribution partners in North America, Europe and Australia. For more information, visit www.scalix.com.
Scalix is a trademark of the Scalix Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
Krause Taylor Associates for Scalix
(408) 918-9080 main
(408) 918.9081 direct