Tuesday, October 14th, 2003, from Chicago IL the Home of THE CUBS. Tonight LIVE on www.thelinuxshow.com.
At 6pm pt, 7pm mt, 8pm ct, and 9pm et.... Kevin Hill, Arne Flones, Doc
Searls, Russ Pavlicek AND Jeff Gerhardt are all back live tonight. We have an interesting (albeit short)
show lined up for tonight.
Segment One- The News. We will cover THE HOT NEWS of the
week including: Winged Spawn of Hell seen flying over Chicago wearing scarves and gloves,
is it over for SCO, COOL Linux Games, Important FCC news, LOTS ON SPAM, a clueless
pundit or two........ and way more.
- The News This Weeks
- Linaire sells cheap Linux PCs and email-news.com
- Samba beats Windows; 2.5 times faster-VnuNet
- Linux Rescue Disks Get a Kick from GAR-Linux Planet
- FCC must treat cable firms the same as telcos - about "F"ing time
- Linux's Hit Men Bullshit "commie" pandering by Forbes
- Israel slams the door on Microsoft- Exclusive at The Register
- Getting real about SCO-Chad Dickerson Infoworld
- How Much Office Functionality Do We Really Need, Anyway- By Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols EWeek
- Linux CD turns Athlon 64 PC into "gaming console on steroids"- Linuxdevices.com
- Linux Cost Savings Add Up-
- Open Source Needs Long-Range Plans-By Brian Proffitt Linux Today Managing Editor
- Mass. official: "Open source" reports overstated
State secretary denies existence of "Freeware Initiative" -By Paul Roberts, IDG News
- Old SCO
- SGI: Letter to the Linux Community- Get bit SCO
- Halloween IX: It Ain't Necessarily SCO-
- An Open Letter to Darl-Newsforge good thoughts by ESR
- 'SCO' code could be written out of Linux-
- Red Hat Files Complaint Over SCO's Linux Claims -
- CALDERA Employess work on Kernel- Jeff:I told you so
- Torvalds Speaks Out on SCO, Linux- from e-week
- SCO Owns Your Computer- Byte (how appropriate)
- OSI Position Paper
on the SCO-vs.-IBM Complaint-
- Eric Raymond's attempt
to find holes in SCO's claim-
SCO's CEO says buyout could end Linux fight- by TODD R. WEISS of
This may be the defining story of the entire SCO situation
- The SCO/Microsoft Connection
Linux and Main Summary- has to be good, quoted jeff.....
& Main editorial citing Microsoft- By Dennis Powell
- "SCO ANNOUNCES
UNIX LICENSING DEAL WITH MICROSOFT" - the official press release
- If it Look like a
duck, smells like a duck, walks like a duck? Its a duck HEY DOJ
- OK, So
Why Did Microsoft Buy That SCO License?- by Maureen O'Gara of
Segment Two- SPAM SUCKS- and what to do about it
Last wek we said that we were going to talk about our adventures with Spam over the last
couple weeks and we ran out of time. A number of people have requested that we go ahead and
do that segment tonight. So in light of the email we will have our previously scheduled conversation
on what we are up against in this era of unrestricted SPAM, and what we are doing to deal with
the explosion of spam.
A couple days before our show 2 weeks ago, a SPAM program being distributed on the Internet
had our domain (thelinuxshow.com) in its database of suggested outgoing domains to use
with a bulk email list. This file could also be used with a Trojan that can co-opt
other computers and convert them into SMTP relay boxes all with spoofed outgoing domains.
Within short order there were dozens of (primarily newbies) of people out there on the
Internet, that were using our domain, and dozens more that were being used as a relay.
During the course of last couple weeks we spent 21 man hours contacting ISPs round the world
using standard abuse methods and in some cases a threat of retribution. In some cases
we also contacted the FBI for fraud. I want to thank all those ISPs around the world
that helped to plug up the holes in the dam.
So, tonight we thought we would relate the story to you, the techniques we used to
solve the issue, and an open discussion on our favorite Spam tools.
If you are in a band or represent an artist, please contact
us ASAP to be added to our play list.
Please join us on the show, and check our IRC Chat
Catch the Linux show at www.thelinuxshow.com"