At 6pm pt, 7pm mt, 8pm ct, and 9pm et.... Kevin Hill (fermi labs), Jeff
Gerhardt, Doc Searls (Linux Journal), Arne Flones and Russ Pavlicek
(infoworld); are back live tonight. We have a great show lined up
tonight on The Linux Show!
Segment One- The News. We will cover THE HOT NEWS of the last few weeks tonight. In particular; Here we go again...The SCO IP issue, is Microsoft blind to reality(?), and more news from (DOC) Macworld Expo.
- SCO Linux IP Claims:http://www.sys-con.com/linux/articlenews.cf m?id=381 and follow up at Newsforgehttp://newsforge.com/newsforge/03/01/13/1 738217.shtml?tid=17
- Boston Globe: Lindows Case Goes Beyond Business:http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/013/bus iness/Lindows_case_goes_beyond_business+.shtml
- TurboPower Discontinues Retail Business http://www.turbopower.com/
- Globe and Mail: Is Microsoft Courting Disaster?http://rtnews.globetechnology.com/servlet /ArticleNews/tech/RTGAM/20030109/gtsurveyor2/Techn ology/techBN/
- Microsoft should 'fear the Penguin'http://www.vnunet.com/News/1137951
- Business forum: Why China likes Linux http://www.startribune.com/stories/535/3582809.htm l
- Nimble edge slowly erodes for Microsoft http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstech nology/134614233_paul13.html
- Linux Set to Challenge Windows on Desktop http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=tech nologyNews&storyID=2030789
- Surprise: Apple's New Browser is a Sister to Konqueror: http://linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=6565
- The X Factor: Apple Rolls Out New Version of X11 Windowing Environment http://linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=6566
Segment Two- Bruce Perens Opens The Book- Open Sourcing the book pulishing industry with the "Bruce Perens' Open Source Series".
Tonight on the show we will be joined by Open Source maven Bruce Perens,
for a segment on how Bruce is going after book publishers to recognise open source as an alternative to their business model.
Bruce has a new gig at George Washington University, for details check the release at:http://www.gwu.edu/~media/pressreleases/12-09-02- Perens&Ghosh.htm. If you have been living in a hole, or are new to open source, a full bio of Bruce is available at http://perens.com/Bio.html
In his first effort to convert the book publishing industry to Open Source, he has convinced Prentice Hall to publish a series of books that have their text under Open Source licenses. This is a tremendous departure for a mainstream publisher. The books are sold like any textbook. Two of the titles are in all of the the Barnes and Noble stores right now.
But they are legal to copy and modify, you would be allowed to sell the copies. The electronic versions of the books are placed on the web a few months after the print versions hit stores. The advantage of these books is that they need never go out of print. The electronic version can be kept up to date by anyone who cares to, and can be printed and sold. An instructor who is using them to teach a class can also tailor them to their particular needs, and a poor student need not buy the textbook to have it.
The books are all about Linux and other Open Source software, so they're directed to a clientelle that cares that the texts themselves are Open Source licensed.
Some of the questions We (at TLS) have in mind are:
1- How does PH make money?
2- This makes sense with Linux and other Open Source books, but what is the motivation for a title such as "Harry Potter"? Does this has any meat beyond technical manuals?
To see a full-size cover of the presently available title, look at http://perens.com/Photos/Books/Massa.pdf You can get a look at the first three books on the Barnes and Noble web site, at:
- http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnIn quiry.asp?isbn=0130354732
- http://search.barnesandnoble.com/bookSearch/isbnIn quiry.asp?isbn=0130091154
- http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnIn quiry.asp?isbn=0131407333
If you are in a band or represent an artist, please contact us asap to
be added to our play list.
Please join us on the show, and check our IRC Chat
Catch the Linux show at www.thelinuxshow.com"